Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New server is coming!

We are moving to a new server and updating all software. The new forums is up now if you want to mess around with it.

http://optimus.hash.com/forums/

The posts will be removed and right now we are working on a bug with user avatars if you find anything else please post here.

we will also be looking for new skins and other things before we move over.

Any Posts made there will be removed on the move! but feel free to try it out. I will also make a post there for bugs and things you want to see. but I have to run right now. It's been a really long night since this version is so out of date.

Thank You,

Jason simonds

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Will it be able to have the cool stuff Rodney did with the banner at the top and other customizations?

And is there anything on this forum that we will be losing as far as attachments in old topics?

I recall that some previous forum move in the past resulted in lots of old files no longer being accessible, they just have dead links. :(

• Admin
Will it be able to have the cool stuff Rodney did with the banner at the top and other customizations?

I can't speak for Jason but the newer software definitely allows for that... and... this moves ensures even better things are to come.

As an minor example; the new software sets us up for success with mobile users as the older software didn't have skins optimized for that experience.

As for the banner (and mobile users) there is no reason why we can't generate a few alternative skins and forum members could choose which one they want to use.

And is there anything on this forum that we will be losing as far as attachments in old topics?

Unlike the moves (server decommissions?) of the past things are looking good on this end.

While not universally true many of the dead links of old were to external sites whereas current links/attachments tend to be to content stored on the Hash server.

As such the likelyhood of content persisting is very good (from my perspective and given the data is already linked and demonstrably working on the new server I'd say at above the 95th percentile). Of course care should be taken to spot resources effected in that last 5% too! Perhaps like a bug hunt we can try to search out and fix those older missing links too (the data may just be unlinked and still be there on the server)

I recall that some previous forum move in the past resulted in lots of old files no longer being accessible, they just have dead links. sad.gif

Transfer of data is always a concern and there is a legacy to preserve but... I'm a bit more concerned with looking beyond that and working with Jason to leverage our communities accumulated data/information so that it doesn't just sit idly in an archive but is primed to be repurposed and put to good use. I'm not sure what form that might take but the information can be used to improve the Wiki/FAQ, create a new Extra DVD or something our community has not dreamed up yet.

I'm excited about this update. :)

• Hash Fellow

Right now it looks painfully generic, almost like the Hash forum had been shut down and taken over by a URL squatter. :(

Will you be able to make it look like what we have now with the logo at the top?

Also when i try my tutorials link at the bottom of one of my posts on that new forum it comes to this forum, so when this forum goes away... it will be a dead link.

I can fix my signature but there are zillions of links in posts on this forum that point to other posts on this forum. Is that something that will automatically be fixed or are those going to go dead too?

• Admin
Right now it looks painfully generic

That's only because it IS.

No customizations have been added to the skin of the new forum and what we are seeing there is the default that comes with the IPB board.

This is what Jason refers to when he says:

we will also be looking for new skins and other things before we move over.

Will you be able to make it look like what we have now with the logo at the top?

Assuming that is desired, yes.

Also when i try my tutorials link at the bottom of one of my posts on that new forum it comes to this forum, so when this forum goes away... it will be a dead link.

I can fix my signature but there are zillions of links in posts on this forum that point to other posts on this forum. Is that something that will automatically be fixed or are those going to go dead too?

Don't be too quick to fix things that aren't yet broken.

There are custom links folks have setup that reference the old forum that don't work on the new because the new servers url is 'http://optimus.hash.com/forums/'.

When this goes 'live' with the correct url the old links should work. (The old forum and new forum can't both be active via the same url)

Edit: In the interim BUT NOT IN THE LONG TERM, if you change the url to state 'optimum' rather than 'www' I believe the link to your tutorials works:

Test Test

Note that you'd have to be logged into the new forum for this link to work and I don't think we can be logged into both forums simultaneously.

nothing should be lost but skins, user avatars and the lay out we have now. but this took years to get to and I hope we can get the new forums looking good too.

if you find anything you can post it below too,

http://optimus.hash.com/forums/index.php?/...-you-find-here/

• Hash Fellow

So we're going to be seeing all blank avatars on old posts unless someone happens to come by and update their user profile which could be years or never. That will look very vacant. :unsure:

I wonder if there's any way to capture member's present avatars and transfer them.

• Admin
So we're going to be seeing all blank avatars

It takes time to build perfection.

Think positive. :)

I wonder if there's any way to capture member's present avatars and transfer them.

Very likely.

This is all assuming we aren't just overlooking the avatar button.

The new forums is down because of problem with the replication server since that is the server I'm also snapshot'n too. I can not restart the server until the snapshot is done(not sure when the will be haha)

• Hash Fellow

Are we actually on the new server now? Or is that still to happen?

About a week ago i noticed that it was suddenly taking a lot longer to connect to the A:M forum than it used to.

Hello,

we are still on the old server. It's slow because it's old and full. The load of getting the 'snapshot' off the server is really putting a load on the slow hard drives and system ram is almost full most of the time. When we move to the new server it will be way way faster. Like going form a Geo Metro to a Porsche. amfilms.hash.com is in the new home I have not been able to test uploading do to some syntax changes in Apache2.4 but I will be testing that later today. We are almost done with all the testing when we move the down time will be about 12 hours and things will come back one by one. In this order Activation > Forums > Mail > Store > Reports > user hosted data

things that use another sub domain like amfilms and wiki can move before then but anything that uses www.hash.com or hash.com has to move in the take down