Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

'Garfield was a mistake': Bill Murray

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

a rumor for years, but now it's out there...

BILL Murray has admitted a case of mistaken identity led to him working on the Garfield movies...

...Murray, 63, didn’t realise his error until he was already recording his part in the studio, and commented on how poor the material was. Writer Joel Cohen, who was in the room, piped up.

On the sequel...

"The second one was beyond rescue, there were too many crazy people involved with it...

...So they sort of shot themselves in the foot, the kidneys, the liver and the pancreas on the second one."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the Reddit conversation and it sounded insane that they would try to tie Bill Murray's hands back on a project. You've got a guy famous for improvisation and you bring him in to dub the dialogue *after* the movie's been filmed and mostly animated?

Sounds like he made a valiant attempt to try to improve the first one after the fact, which I'm amazed he even tried. I think most folks would have just read the lines, collected the paycheck and gone home.

I don't think I've seen either all the way through. A live action Garfield just didn't make sense to me and it seemed bizarre that Garfield was CG and Odie wasn't.

• Hash Fellow

I watched the first one (on DVD) because I had an internet acquaintance with someone who had animated on it at Rhythm & Hues. I was neither entranced nor repelled but it had a budget-comedy air to it.

I think the financial success of it demonstrated the value of basing a movie on a well-known property with an established fan base.

I always found it funny that the guy who played Peter Venkman in the cartoon Ghostbusters also did the voice of the cartoon Garfield. But they brought Murray in for the live action (sorta) Garfield.

I never made that connection. He was just "Carlton the Doorman" to me. :-)

• *A:M User*
a rumor for years, but now it's out there...

BILL Murray has admitted a case of mistaken identity led to him working on the Garfield movies...

...Murray, 63, didn’t realise his error until he was already recording his part in the studio, and commented on how poor the material was. Writer Joel Cohen, who was in the room, piped up.

On the sequel...

"The second one was beyond rescue, there were too many crazy people involved with it...

...So they sort of shot themselves in the foot, the kidneys, the liver and the pancreas on the second one."

So wait, the first one was a trainwreck and he decided to double-down and do the 2nd one for the laughs? Or was he contracturally obligated to do the 2nd film?

• *A:M User*

Well, I'm pretty sure there must have been a significant chunk of change involved, it just seems like if it was that painful, it might not have been worth it? I guess they payday was enough to put up with the lousy writing.

Murray said he'd do the second one with one condition. They bring him in before it was shot so that he wouldn't have to go through that again. They didn't keep their promise and he gave up on trying to fix the second.