Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Where does A:M store it's Custom Colors?

Rodney

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where A:M stores the Custom Colors from a Model's Surface Properties?

Thanks!

These are the default windows color picker options available in paint and stuff like that.

However I do not know where these are stored.

See u

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Thanks Gerald, I'll keep looking.

I have a vague recollection that the values are stored a file within the installation folder that isn't directly accessible.

There'd only be one or two files that could be.

Over the years I've moved toward using my own system of color swatches but would like to use the Surface properties if I can.

The difficulty in maintaining custom colors was one of the reasons I moved away from that.

Over the years I've moved toward using my own system of color swatches but would like to use the Surface properties if I can.

The difficulty in maintaining custom colors was one of the reasons I moved away from that.

I'm not sure which version of A:M started having "Create Material from surface" (works in 16b)

Make a group with all the surface properties you want (color, etc),

right click on group in PWS/"create material from surface".

A new material will appear, then save the new material under whatever name you want.

Use forever more whenever, wherever you want.

• Admin

Thanks Nancy,

There are a lot of benefits to using that approach.

I'll have to run a few tests and see what I can see.

A downside is that using the image swatches I can use any external program.

The downside of the image swatches of course are many but there are a few benefits.

I'll have to see if I can duplicate them (or similate something similar) with materials.

I do wish that the transfer process from surface could take multiple patch surface colors and patch images with it.

This recalls to mind Anzovin's old tool 'NodeCloner' as it allowed the copying of Attributes from one Material to another.

My long term thought is that it might be worthwhile to create an external program for viewing materials (and or Libraries) but it may be better to set everything up in one instance of A:M and use that to drive changes to things going on in another.

Hmmm.... you've given me a lot to consider.

• Admin
Does the Windows color picker have any sort of hidden "eyedropper" tool to copy a color?

If it does it is too well hidden.

Back in the v11 timeframe it had quite a few other options (and it was easier to save custom colors) but the color picker hasn't been the same since.

Does the Windows color picker have any sort of hidden "eyedropper" tool to copy a color?

If it does it is too well hidden.

Back in the v11 timeframe it had quite a few other options (and it was easier to save custom colors) but the color picker hasn't been the same since.

That was the new version of the color-picker from Windows, but it was not possible to simply implement that on the Mac and because of that it has gone again.

See you

*Fuchur*