Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hello and bummer!

Cybrknight

Hello everyone!

My name is Steve and today I purchased my copy of A:M 18. I know nothing about 3D and animation, and can't wait to learn.

My first impressions of A:M are not going so well though. After starting the program, I get a nice welcome screen, with a list of tutorials. After getting through the first two, which I enjoyed, I get "videos not ready yet". This is a bummer and not very professional.

Are there alternative tutorials? I don't want to jump around from specific tutorial to tutorial, I just want to learn in a structured way, or at least learn the basics of modeling in A:M.

Thanks,

Steve.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Hello everyone!

My name is Steve and today I purchased my copy of A:M 18. I know nothing about 3D and animation, and can't wait to learn.

My first impressions of A:M are not going so well though. After starting the program, I get a nice welcome screen, with a list of tutorials. After getting through the first two, which I enjoyed, I get "videos not ready yet". This is a bummer and not very professional.

Are there alternative tutorials? I don't want to jump around from specific tutorial to tutorial, I just want to learn in a structured way, or at least learn the basics of modeling in A:M.

Thanks,

Steve.

Welcome to A:M! :yay:

I'm sorry about that disappointment. I am the one who is supposed to have those done! :o

My project for the new year is to get those in the can.

It is safe to watch the ones that are done, however.

For an introduction to modeling there are several good modeling ones in "The Art of Animation:Master" which you can get in pdf form for free. Those are classics that have been getting people started for years.

In addition, I did an experimental long-form, very basic preliminary intro to modeling basics which I can't find at the moment, perhaps Rodney can find it?. (New TAoA:M)

I also recommend the new-user tuts that are pinned in "Tutorials and Demonstrations"

Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Steve.

Welcome to A:M! :yay:

I'm sorry about that disappointment. I am the one who is supposed to have those done! :o

My project for the new year is to get those in the can.

It is safe to watch the ones that are done, however.

For an introduction to modeling there are several good modeling ones in "The Art of Animation:Master" which you can get in pdf form for free. Those are classics that have been getting people started for years.

In addition, I did an experimental long-form, very basic preliminary intro to modeling basics which I can't find at the moment, perhaps Rodney can find it?. (New TAoA:M)

I also recommend the new-user tuts that are pinned in "Tutorials and Demonstrations"

Thank you for your help, and your two tutorials where just great!

Thanks again,

Steve.

• Admin

Hi Steve,

One of the great things about our community is that we'll build you custom tutorials based on your queries here.

There are just too many things that could be tut'd to create a tutorial that covers everything for every possible situation.

After all, you don't really want a tutorial... at least you shouldn't... you want to create something cool with the info you'll discover in those tutorials!

So don't be shy... just point us in the direction of your interest.

Welcome to the forum! :)

• Admin

The following link is NOT to the modeling tutorial Robert was referring to but I sure have been enjoying the walk down memory lane and the tutorials I'm finding while searching for it.

In the meantime:

It's a nice intro for newbies and old timers can refresh their memory on the basics of modeling courtesy of Robcat!

Basic Modeling Tutorial (Modeling a Rocket)

Direct Link to Tutorial

This tutorial is designed to precede the basic approaches to lathing, extruding, etc. in a Modeling window.

If you can get along with my accent, you'll find a start tutorial about some of the patch modelling principles here:

Start- & Patch Modelling

...and some other tutorials here:

Video-Tutorials on PW3d

Just to mention it: The tutorials are in English, but since some people have had problems with my tutorials in the past: English is not my mother tongue.

While most people seem to understand me quite well, a few seem to have had trouble with them... please let me know to which group you belong to ;).

See you

*Fuchur*

This isn't a Modeling Tutorial but in this short video Robert demonstrates how to Model detail without actually modeling the detail:

d4uRDzDMEXE

Rodney, I can't thank you enough man! This is going to be a great forum thanks to people like you.

If you can get along with my accent, you'll find a start tutorial about some of the patch modelling principles here:

Start- & Patch Modelling

...and some other tutorials here:

Video-Tutorials on PW3d

Just to mention it: The tutorials are in English, but since some people have had problems with my tutorials in the past: English is not my mother tongue.

While most people seem to understand me quite well, a few seem to have had trouble with them... please let me know to which group you belong to ;).

See you

*Fuchur*

The Star himself. I found you tutorials and where watching them today. I had no problem understanding you. Great tutorials. Thank you so much.

Hey welcome to and A:M and the forums. I will add to Rodneys and Roberts statement that the best way to learn is to dive in and do. Come up with something you want to create (start simple!) and start splining. When you get stuck (you will, and no worries) simply chime in on the forums and ask. Most likely within hours you will have a bevy of answers, solutions, guides, and possibly a video tut to help you along your way.

A:M is a great app. I've been using it for well over nine years and an still learning.

Hey welcome to and A:M and the forums. I will add to Rodneys and Roberts statement that the best way to learn is to dive in and do. Come up with something you want to create (start simple!) and start splining. When you get stuck (you will, and no worries) simply chime in on the forums and ask. Most likely within hours you will have a bevy of answers, solutions, guides, and possibly a video tut to help you along your way.

A:M is a great app. I've been using it for well over nine years and an still learning.

Thank you.

• Admin

Steve,

I'm going to go back to your original post because you said some things that help to understand your goals:

I just want to learn in a structured way, or at least learn the basics of modeling in A:M.

One of the best approaches to learning A:M is to work through the manual "The Art of Animation:Master (TaoA:M)".

It has short exercises designed to get you up to speed quickly and comfortable with with the interface, modeling, rigging and animation workflow.

In my experience those who have worked through the manual (even those who don't do every exercise) are the most successful.

Then their hardest challenge becomes what to do with what they've learned.

TaoA:M consists of video tutorials and the manual (hardcover or PDF) if you don't have the book readily available you should!

There is also the Technical Reference to refer to:

ToaA:M Video Tutorials

The Art of Animation:Master and The Technical Reference

Some folks find the manual too easy and some find it too hard.

Most find it supplies a nice way to quickly digest otherwise complicated subjects.

You mentioned an interest in modeling and the most useful method I can suggest to learn modeling is to open up some models and explore them. Tweak them. Modify them. Break them.

You'll gain valuable insight into how other folks model.

• 2 weeks later...