Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Chor to action conversion

In the distant past I vaguely recall that it was possible to save an animation in a chor and edit it as an action file before reapplying in a chor ?

But can't remember how to do it, can anyone kindly point me in the right direction?

Baking actions seems to add a key on every frame, is there a way to just save the keys already set without adding further in the baking process ?

I'm trying to do a dance sequence and, rather than redo it all, would like to use it as an action so I can get several figures doing the steps at the same time.

regards

simon

Edit

I found how to do it, clicking in PWS and selecting,EXPORT as Action. ( nothing like overlooking the obvious ! ).

However, when I then import it as an action. in V17, the keys are still there and the animation will scroll through but, it won't play when using the controls at the bottom.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
However, when I then import it as an action. in V17, the keys are still there and the animation will scroll through but, it won't play when using the controls at the bottom.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

I'd have to see you using it. There are lots of way s to use an action wrong. My first guess is that this is a Play Range problem.

[...

I'd have to see you using it. There are lots of way s to use an action wrong. My first guess is that this is a Play Range problem.

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the embedded project, only the sound is missing.

The action scrolls but doesn't play, the chor still plays..

regards

simon

Dance_02.prj

Hi Simon

I get the same here when exporting an action from the Chor, so perhaps its a small bug.

For some reason the exported Action is being sent out with no 'Play Range'. Effectively it's set to play from 0 to 0 :huh:

With the Action open, right click in the top of the 'Time Line' window where the frame numbers are and choose one of the offered options to set the Play Range.

Hi Simon

I get the same here when exporting an action from the Chor, so perhaps its a small bug.

For some reason the exported Action is being sent out with no 'Play Range'. Effectively it's set to play from 0 to 0 :huh:

With the Action open, right click in the top of the 'Time Line' window where the frame numbers are and choose one of the offered options to set the Play Range.

Mark

I shall try that.

Something else I noticed after posting it was that, if you drop the action onto another figure in the chor ( using the same 2008 rig ) it seems to lose all the IK foot keys, so it ends up pogoing up and down while doing Beat boy arm moves. Amusing but not what I was after. I shall try a different figure.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
Something else I noticed after posting it was that, if you drop the action onto another figure in the chor ( using the same 2008 rig ) it seems to lose all the IK foot keys, so it ends up pogoing up and down while doing Beat boy arm moves. Amusing but not what I was after. I shall try a different figure.

You'll need to check that the IK leg switch is not being overridden by a key in the regualr chor action.

You'll need to check that the IK leg switch is not being overridden by a key in the regualr chor action.

Robert

I'm not at all sure where I might look for that but will do so tomorrow.

This is what the effect is like.

The central figure is the original chor animation.

The blue figure is a 2008 rig with the rig setup the same way, with the exported action dropped on top.

The right hand red figure is another instance of the Ray figure, but with the exported action dropped on top of rather than animated in the chor.

regards

simon

Dance4.mov

The blue figure is a 2008 rig with the rig setup the same way, with the exported action dropped on top.

The right hand red figure is another instance of the Ray figure, but with the exported action dropped on top of rather than animated in the chor.

For the blue figure, in the chor, view the pose sliders (alt+4), look under legs/Right IK leg & left IK leg, should be set ON. I suspect your blue model was not saved with IK legs =ON, or somehow it was set = off (maybe in chor, shortcut to model/ chor action/user properties)

Your action that you exported from the chor does not change the IK legs settings, so I assume the red guys have Legs IK already = ON

For the blue figure, in the chor, view the pose sliders (alt+4), look under legs/Right IK leg & left IK leg, should be set ON. I suspect your blue model was not saved with IK legs =ON, or somehow it was set = off (maybe in chor, shortcut to model/ chor action/user properties)

Your action that you exported from the chor does not change the IK legs settings, so I assume the red guys have Legs IK already = ON

Nancy

Thank you for your help and reply.

I have looked at the blue figures rig properties and checked that the same aspects are set correctly. The problem seems to persist. I will continue to check other aspects of the rig.

regards

simon

The model's poses can be set in the model but overridden in the chor or action. Have you check all those possibilities?

Robert

Thank you again.

I have tried to follow all the options but, suspect I'm not seeing straight today as its been a bit exasperating with other factors. Will try again tomorrow with fresher eyes.

regards

simon

If you want to zip up the whole thing and send it to me in a PM I'll take a look at it.

Robert

Thank you for your kind offer. I thought I'd sidestep ( pardon the pun ) it for a bit by using models that work and revert to Winona next month.

This was the result. The Kryptkicker Five stepping out of their zimmer frames. Hoping to get it done next week.

regards

simon

Kryptkickers.mov

• Admin

That's coming together nicely!

I love how you've differentiated each of the characters. :)

The following is food for thought... not so much a suggestion for your current project:

You can adjust the ease of a few of the Actions to get slight delays such as seen in Matt Campbell's dance here:

GczxW4WXz6o

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, even there however we can see a cyclic pattern trying to sneak through.

The general pattern is that PurpleGirl is in the lead and RedGirl is always coming up short. ;)

Ideally a character will lag in some places and rush ahead in another.

The goal is to get the characters themselves to run the show through personality.

Matt would be better able to outline his approach.

A better way than ease (or something to use in combination with it) would be to layer in another Chor Action over the top (actually under in the PWS hierarchy) of the other Actions that subtley shifts a few characters out of mirror sync (maybe you've got some of that going already and I'm just not seeing it). I hesitate to suggest this because making sure the proper settings to blend the Actions (Replace, Add, Blend, is import if using that methodology. It looks like you are up to it though.

Another approach would be to save different copies of your Action and then tweak a few of those.

Then import all of them into A:M and point the shortcut to a different Action.

Again, the goal being to give each character their own personality.

i.e. This guy has been doing this for years... this guy is just learning... this guy is overconfident... this guy always tends to miss a particular cue...

That's coming together nicely!

I love how you've differentiated each of the characters. :)

Again, the goal being to give each character their own personality.

i.e. This guy has been doing this for years... this guy is just learning... this guy is overconfident... this guy always tends to miss a particular cue...

Rodney

I must admit I'm playing really. Started to follow the B Boy reference and have got a bit carried away.I'll post the next stage in the Blockheads thread in the WIP section. I used to love dancing away but, a friend once described it as being "like someone having an epileptic fit while looking for a coin on the floor". Possibly an accurate visual description. Have started to add other moves and was beginning to wonder about the methods you suggested. I might aspire to Mat's level of skill and professionalism but have a way to go yet.

On a trivial note. I've always wanted to be in a band called The Kryptkicker Five. This is possibly the nearest to that !

regards

simon