Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

More software tech coming at you...

Rodney

• Admin

Thought I'd post this because it represents several trends in software of late. A few of them include:

Higher Resolutions (including support for 4K)

Screen Capture

Motion Tracking

Video Layering

These represent must-have technologies in my estimation.

In this case, I see Corel is pressing into the market more fully by enhancing their Video Studio products and at $79 that makes for an affordable solution when similar products can easily range toward $399 and upward.

dYWGQnjFWmk

They have a trial version for those who want to explore. (Trial Link)

Disclaimers: I have not used Corel VideoStudio in years so cannot attest to its current ease of use or functionality.

As with all video editors a lot of RAM is recommended to keep the video editing smooth and the interface responsive.

I am an occasional beta tester for Corel products but haven't beta tested any of their video editors.

I still have high hopes for the soon-to-be opened source Lightworks as it is a high end video editor that will be available on Win/Mac/Linux. While the future looks bright for Lightworks, as far as I know there are no plans to add screen capture functionality to it. With any luck future operating systems will include that technology.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Keep in mind that my point here is not that Corel is offering a particular product but rather that the technology in question is working it's way toward us in a variety of products and services at more affordable prices.

Things like screen capture, motion tracking and the like have been maturing to the point where it's becoming (more) trivial for software to include them. Some of this might be due to patents fading away but I tend to think it's more because the web is moving toward a more video-centric model and companies see these tech tools as essential even at the lower end of their product lines. As the tech continues to mature and saturate the market new and innovative uses will emerge.

In light of this, importing from Premiere to Corel becomes a moot point.

If the conversion process isn't in place it'll eventually be worked around and the incompatibilities surmounted.

There are two types of incompatibilities, true incompatibilities and those that are artificially constructed. Bridges can be made in the case of the first and the second will be eventually crushed by competition. The first is non-proprietary at its root while the other is intentionally proprietary. The obstacle to the first is mostly one of research and development whereas the latter is acquisition of information that will inevitably bypass proprietary/artificial networks. This is an important distinction because large companies that feel secure in their current stranglehold on technology can lose everything before they even know it.

Screen capture is a perfect example of this. There is coming a day when screen capture is going to be ubiquitous. (it almost is already)

Right now the default setting for every system is 'do not record' but soon the default will be 'record'.

This has important ramifications that will bring even more technological advances forward.

As with most advances there will be some early and some late adopters and others that will resist the move.

Like water the tech will seek it's own level in the over all ebb and the flow.

A furtherance of this is the shift from 2D to 3D systems we are seeing in it's bare infancy at this point.

Some of the magic that can be done in 2D will take on more than just one new dimension in a 3D world especially when we aren't considering still imagery and move to non-linear and super-spatial constructs. As an interesting 'for instance' consider what is being trivially accomplished now in seam carving on still imagery. In short order this tech will be moving to video and in time it will change the way everyone except the most stalwart of old school adherents work. Why meticulously paint out unneeded detail on each frame in a video when all you have to do is identify/select an object or area (on any frame) and remove it automatically from every frame in the entire video?

Over the years Corel has obviously found a niche market in bringing elements of new tech to the average user who doesn't yet really need or understand that technology. Because the tech is pennies on the dollar to incorporate into their software (or becomes moreso over time and volume) I believe they will continue to push their entry level software as a stake in the ground to advise the average non-technical folk that this new tech isn't just in the high end systems but is now accessible, useful and available via their products. It's almost the equivalent of those boxes of software you'd find in the front of the store in a huge bin that were always 10 times cheaper than the 'professional' software. As a higher end user you knew (or where about to find out) you were going to be disappointed if you purchased one because it was going to lack the full features that you desired in the expensive products but as an average user who just needed a particular task accomplished with basic tools you'd be quite satisfied with the results.

one item I have heard a lot of good comments about is the screen capturing it does. Alot of folks who do tutorials have given it pretty nice praise considering the price and its competitors in that realm ----let alone the other faeture set items. Just thought I would add this to the mix.