sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Life Drawing

Simon Edmondson

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I agree Simon.

There is an element to this that doesn't quite work for me and I think it is a sense of artificiality as expressed by the slow movement of the hands, the focus (of the artists) on the drawing themselves rather than the model and the scale of each image (lines being a bit too perfectly matched). It's almost like the drawings are really being aided by an unseen hand via projection, tracing or some other method. It's also possible that these artists had gone through the process several times and refined their approach to get into better sync with their friends but... I doubt this. The second element that supports this idea of artificiality is the way the artists place the initial few lines of their drawings down. Those are not the typical sweeping lines of a Life Drawing artist where the focus is on the immediacy of the gesture. The speed and placement of lines appears preprogrammed. I'm not a life drawing artist so I cannot confirm more than this.

At a guess I'd say that what we are seeing is the initial drawings drawn at the easel mixed in with other drawings -inbetweened- out of camera. Perhaps not much of the former and a lot of the latter. I would go so far as to say that any frame of this presentation that doesn't have a person (or hand) in it is likely an inbetweened drawing. Toward the end of the animation it then becomes easier to have the artists finish drawings already initiated somewhere else at their easel, on camera.

I'd love to see a behind the scenes 'making of' for this.

Regardless of the process, it is impressive. It should inspire hand drawn animators.

But it might inspire them all the more if we could see the work of the unseen hand.

As you say, 'well executed'.

There is an element to this that doesn't quite work for me and I think it is a sense of artificiality as expressed by the slow movement of the hands, the focus (of the artists) on the drawing themselves rather than the model and the scale of each image...

I'd love to see a behind the scenes 'making of' for this.

Regardless of the process, it is impressive. It should inspire hand drawn animators.But it might inspire them all the more if we could see the work of the unseen hand.

I noticed in the credits that it was , at least partially, done by MPC. If it is the same people ( Moving Picture Company ) then they are a very big cg facility here in the UK and do a lot of feature FX work. The fact that the framing doesn't move from easel to easel also suggests a lot of effort on the video production side... Fun though.

I used to do life drawing once a week up until a few months ago. Following some new tonight, I'm hoping to restart after Easter. I really enjoy it.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Great idea.

I can say no drawing class I've ever been in has produced such consistent drawings. :unsure:

I bet with a bit of preplanning some experienced figure drawers could do that close enough that the size differences could be fixed in post by scaling the frame.

When the figure is in motion that implies the model was able to hold proper inbetween poses long enough to be captured on paper, but maybe with planning that could be done too.