sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hotspotting on LED monitor?

Roger

• *A:M User*

I haven't been using my external display for some time, and I noticed some bad hotspotting when I plugged it back in. It is most noticeable when light photos or colors as the background .

I'm using a DVI-analog vga adapter, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll need to see if the same problem happens with an HDMI output (if it has one).

Hate the thought of having to buy a new one, I'm trying to save as much money as I can right now. Maybe it is under warranty still, I'll have to check and see. Not sure if that is something that would be covered.

I don't really think it will affect my AM work or even be noticeable during regular use, but it is one of those things that have a way of bugging you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I used iMacs with built in displays. When I found myself getting a MacPro, I went with a pretty mediocre monitor and found the colors could vary based on what part of the screen the image was being displayed on.

I had intended it to be temporary, but then I quit my job to pursue this adventure and I just stuck with it until it zapped out last month. I had to go even cheaper this time, but to my surprise I found the new led monitor had more consistent color than the middle road lcd I was replacing. It was also significantly brighter.

The new one is a 21.5" AOC monitor and was on sale at Best Buy for $99.99.

I had little in the way of choice, since I didn't have a spare to fall back on, but it's working well for me and I can always use it as a second display or backup if I ever can afford a good one. I do miss some of the screen real estate, but it's 1920x1080 which I couldn't go under. Especially if I do this next project in HD.

• *A:M User*

Yeah, the monitor I have now is an AOC monitor and up til now I have been happy with it. I'd really like to get one of the 27" IPS 2500x1600 monitors but those are crazy expensive (like $800 on sale) and way out of my budget right now).

I forgot I have a Hannspree monitor that I had sent back for repairs, maybe I can make that my primary and the AOC my backup.

Too bad they're not the same size ( I think one is a 24 and the other a 22 or 23), they may look odd side by side.

BTW I love your Wobbling Dead idea. Being a fan of the show I'm interested to see your take on it, parody wise.

I can see Rick, Lori, T-dawg, Old Fishing Hat Guy (I can never remember his name) and I think the other guy is Daryl?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it and I may throw a few bucks your way on your kickstarter.

I'm of the opinion that monitor quality isn't as much of an issue as it once was. Most of the differences I saw in pricing had to do with monitor size and/or the number of ports.

I was used to having a 24", but the drop down to 21.5" isn't that dramatic.

BTW I love your Wobbling Dead idea. Being a fan of the show I'm interested to see your take on it, parody wise.

I can see Rick, Lori, T-dawg, Old Fishing Hat Guy (I can never remember his name) and I think the other guy is Daryl?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it and I may throw a few bucks your way on your kickstarter.

Thanks, Roger! I could use 'em!

One of the things I thought was a plus when I first started on the idea of making 3D puppets, was that I didn't have to worry too much about likenesses, but I think I'm starting to get okay at them. You were dead-on right about who all of them are. Dale (Old Fishing Hat Guy) made me laugh as soon as I added the eyebrows. :-)

• Hash Fellow

I'm impressed the old flat panels could evenly light the screen at all since it was a florescent tube shooting light in from the edge. That's what my cintiq has and it has some detectable fading around the sides. But I guess now the practice is to use an array of LEDs behind the screen.