sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Adam and Dog

Rodney

• Admin

Hand drawn animation... I sure wish there was more of it.

This short film is not only well constructed and executed... the timing/performance of the characters is as subtle as it is amazing.

hq0-i8GQbgw

There are some pencil tests of a few of the sequences making the rounds as well.

It good to study the simplicity of movies like this with such successful sequences.

Of Note: What makes this animated short particularly interesting is how the story is told with no dialogue... pure pantomime (with perfect foley/background effects). Upon watching it a second time I was sure that there was a music track throughout the entire film but it is over 7 minutes into the short before any music kicks in... but then it drops out again until the very end.

It's great to see folks like James Baxter are keeping hand drawn animation alive.

Andreas Deja is working on an independent (hand drawn/painted) short film as well...

Technically speaking there is only one 'error' in this film. The rain occurs in the film but historically was said not to happen until over one thousand years later.

I would say the mastodon is rather huge but that seems to have been artistic license more than anything.

I suppose the rain could be categorized that way as well.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hand drawn animation... I sure wish there was more of it.

This short film is not only well constructed and executed... the timing/performance of the characters is as subtle as it is amazing.

hq0-i8GQbgw

Rodney.

Don't wish to be a pest but, could you post the link again as its not showing up in my browser and I'd like to see it ?

regards

simon

• Admin

What is most impressive to me is the minimalist approach.

And they weren't afraid to use closeups and long shots that contributed to the emotion of the moment.

(i.e. closeups for relationship moments and long shots to emphasize loneliness)

They have included only that which is needed to tell the story and left everything else out.

They've trusted the audience... anticipating they will know what occurs behind the scenes that isn't explicitly shown. Those elements that can be considered 'additional detail' are also storytelling elements that close loops and/or advance the story.

An example of this last one is where Adam and Eve leave Eden and the animals are hiding in the forest. The contrast between what the animals do in comparison to what the dog does builds upon the core of the film; the relationship of man and dog. The scene could have been excluded but something important would have been lost, namely the idea that the dog remains man's best friend even after the fall... while other animals do not.

There is so much subtlety in the film that I wonder if even the authors know the full depths of their work (with Glen Keane advising I suspect they do).

A minor example: That both Adam and Eve were known as 'Adam' due to their relationship.

While the title of the film is perfectly illustrated via the relationship of this man and his dog at the film's beginning, the transition of who Adam is at the end of the film has the title resonating even more.

(I haven't mentioned the style used in the film... it's got an interesting look to it... almost like something you've seen before but not quite... entirely appropriate)

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

AWN has a really nice interview with Minkyu Lee about making of the film 'Adam and Dog'.

One of the interesting points made is that of Minkyu's thoughts on being both Producer and Director at the same time (not to mention... Animator,etc. etc.).

This is a good subject to ponder as getting the product made can be a considerably different goal than protecting and maintaining its direction. In fact, it is something of a war... that of getting things done versus remaining true to heart of the story, original premise and the artistic vision.

The film took three years working part time with Minkyu breaking away from full time work at Disney for approx. 4 months to fully concentrate on getting the film madel. Lots of collaborators (read co-labor-ators) and supporters joined in without compensation.

This helps to put into perspective the time it can take for several seasoned animators working part time to finish a short film (in Minkyu's case, a fifteen minute film).

Whenever discouragement ensues... and it will on any project this big... it will help to remember this.

Linkage

There is another AWN feature that takes a closer look at backgrounds painted for the film:

Backgrounds