sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Compositing and motion tracking.

Simon Edmondson

I've been doing some tests towards the new project. The intention is to try to combine stop motion work with work in AM.

I have no experience in this area but would like to try it to see if it works.

The files posted were all done this afternoon( you can see the light changing as the snow decides whether or not to arrive ). What I want to do is to animate the cars with stop motion but to composite the drivers in using figures made and rendered in AM, possibly some of the backgrounds too, although most will be done with Lego.C3.mov

I know it should be possible, because I've read about other people doing it but, what are the sort of problems I need to prepare for and test against?

My anticipation is that the cars will have to be motion tracked in some way and the figures composited into them. Are there other things that need to be considered?

Can anyone point me to a suitable resource or reference material ?

C6.mov

C7.mov

The actual clips will be much better than these as they were quick and messy tests.

Any feedback on the problems greatly appreciated.

regards

simon

C8.mov

C9.mov

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Those shots go by so fast that adding a CG character inside the car seems unnecessary.

I can imagine a closeup shot where the car is locked down and the background is going by. That would be a good candidate for adding a character.

Those shots go by so fast that adding a CG character inside the car seems unnecessary.

I can imagine a closeup shot where the car is locked down and the background is going by. That would be a good candidate for adding a character.

Robert

Thank you for your response.

That was coming later. I learnt something from the train chase in "The Wrong Trousers". Gromit's position was static on the train and they moved the background, including during exposure, so they got the movement.

For the compositing, I was thinking of the sort of shots from outside the car were you see the figure turning the steering wheel or get the side mirrors in shot and the driver behind. I couldn't test any like that today. It was really just a sort of general question as to the things I should be aware of before starting full tilt ?

regards

simon

I think you should do some very brief test shots.

Lighting a CG character so it appears right when composited into a car will be a bit tricky.

Robert

I only do the stop motion bits at the weekend but, I've got an idea to test out so, I'll post it next week to see how it goes.

simon