Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Another method for creating glow?

rusty

Hi,

I have a material that's supposed to create an atmosphere around a planet... however it won't work, its missing something. I need to create a green glow around these non-green spheres. Anyone have any ideas? Going to look at 'material effect' see if that's an option. Other wise I do not know how to make a material extend beyond the sphere it's attached to.

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I have a material that's supposed to create an atmosphere around a planet... however it won't work, its missing something. I need to create a green glow around these non-green spheres. Anyone have any ideas? Going to look at 'material effect' see if that's an option. Other wise I do not know how to make a material extend beyond the sphere it's attached to.

Thanks,

Rusty

You should try this... had good results with this:

Earth from Space

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Nested, semi-transparent spheres can make a glow around another sphere that will scale with distance. In this case the spheres have a gradient material on them that makes the edge completely transparent and the center nearly transparent.

SpaceOrbs.prj

SpaceOrbs.JPG

• Admin

I really like your solution Robert. :)

Since Radius and Intensity of Glow is best controlled in the Chor properties that makes having variation in glow size and intensity a little harder to work.

If you are use to compositing one solution is to have a separate Chor for each object that will have different glows and once rendered composite those together.

You can get a degree of this by controlling the glow through the intensity of the Ambiance Color on the Surface properties.

What is nice about that approach is the glow intensity can be animated over time.