Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Quick way to straighten out points on a spline ring?

Roger

• *A:M User*

Hello,

Have a spline ring selected and some of the points on that ring are not as even as I would like them to be. Tried selecting the whole ring and then setting Y and Z values to 0 in the Properties for the Y and Z translate values, but that doesn't seem to have done anything. Did I do something wrong? I guess it is not critical that they be perfect, I can eyeball them and get something acceptable but it seems like there should be a better way to do this.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

The specific spline ring you are working with might make for a specific approach so if you can share a screen capture (or file) with what you are looking at that will help.

As near as I can tell there are two issues that you are raising (one in the title and one in your topic):

- Spline Alignment

- Evenly Spaced Control Points (CP)

For Spline Alignment in a straight line (or any set of CPs all desired to be in the same plane) most will use the Scale Manipulator to realign the splines. Generally, you can select the spline hit the S key (or select the Rotate Manipulator) and either scale the spline or type in zero (it often works better with 1!) to align the splines.

To even out the spacing of Control Points most often you can delete the CP that is uneven and select the Y key to place a CP exactly half way along the selected spline. Note that while this will make your CPs evenly spaced but depending on your end goal of where that CP should be it may not properly align them.

Using A:M to lathe a spline with the proper number of CPs will both align and space a spline ring for you. So in some instances where precision is desired it may be appropriate to lathe the shape with the desired number of CPs, extract the desired spline ring and stitch that into place in your model.

You can also type into the properties the exact location in 3D space you want a particular CP to occupy.

Can you share an example of your specific spline ring?

• Hash Fellow
Hello,

Have a spline ring selected and some of the points on that ring are not as even as I would like them to be. Tried selecting the whole ring and then setting Y and Z values to 0 in the Properties for the Y and Z translate values, but that doesn't seem to have done anything. Did I do something wrong? I guess it is not critical that they be perfect, I can eyeball them and get something acceptable but it seems like there should be a better way to do this.

Do you want them all on one plane? Select them and scale that group to 0% on the axis perpendicular to that plane.

• *A:M User*
Hello,

Do you want them all on one plane? Select them and scale that group to 0% on the axis perpendicular to that plane.

Yes, that is what I want to do. I must not have chose the correct axis to scale on.

I'll see if I can post an example in a bit, need to step away from this for a sec and get some caffeine.

Hello,

Yes, that is what I want to do. I must not have chose the correct axis to scale on.

I'll see if I can post an example in a bit, need to step away from this for a sec and get some caffeine.

Just to ask it: Are your Bias-Values changed somehow?

See you

*Fuchur*