Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

how to constrain a newbie

dblhelix

thinking out loud here:

we'd need a tutorial on surface constraint on the site.

please nobody say techref, i did look *HURTS*. long enough to know we

need a tutorial.

how about a fun penguin sliding downhill, up a bump, in the air,

then down again and sliding on. no fancy animation, just the direction change,

constraint on off, basics.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
please nobody say techref, i did look *HURTS*. long enough to know we need a tutorial.

That's about as basic a tutorial as you are likely to get.

At the risk of getting hurt I'll suggest... The Technical Reference.

Please turn to page 88. :)

If you follow along you'll see there are several things you need:

A Surface (A surface mesh/model)

- Open up a Model window

- Create a surface either by Extruding, Lathing or Right Clicking and Selecting 'Grid'

Two Bones (for that Surface)

- One Bone that that has all Control Points you wish to assign as the Surface (Note: In a Choreography you can select a whole model instead)

- One Bone to act as an Aimer. Name this something useful like "Aimer" (Note: When you animate this Bone it will move your Object across the Surface of this Models mesh)

Drop this Model into a Choreography

Another Model (to Constrain to the Surface)

Drag and Drop this second Model into your Choreopgraphy (I volunteer Thom... he's used in the skiing example in the Tech Ref)

(Note: This is the Model that you will Contrain to the Surface)

In the Choreography window select Thom (or whatever other model you want to move across the Surface)

- Right Click and select New > Constraint > Surface

Select your Surface Model

(Note: If you don't want the whole Model's Surface but rather the Surface you've specified by the Bone open up the drop down and Select Bone 1 from your Surface Model. This will Constrain your Object to the Surface)

From the Properties of your Constraint you'll then want to identify your Aimer.

Use the Drop Down menu to select the Bone you've named 'Aimer'.

Now back in the Choreography adjust or animate the Aimer Bone and watch as Thom (or other Object) moves across the surface of the mesh.

Note: The need for the Aimer Bone and that it needed to be animated was the part that I didn't understand about Surface Constraints until I read the Tech Ref! It's pretty important.

Troubleshooting

This is the first time I remember ever using a Surface Constraint and it took reading the Tech Reference to understand the requirements.

Everything worked as specified.

Give the above (and what is in the Tech Ref) a try and post your results.

Then everyone can share this as a tutorial and plus up what they've learned here.

We'll adjust as necessary and all learn more about Surface Constraints. :)

How to constrain a newbie?

I have one in the basement... duct tape seems to work just fine. SERIOUSLY tho--- I have tried the Surface Constraint before... never got it to work... never THOUGHT of reading the reference manual. I just learned about it in Rodney's post and can't wait to try it... on the newbie in the basement! Signed, Vern

*spits duct tape* ha!

found some murky orient-like business going on with the stone being scraped against the other stone=surface.

and that became clear now that we have a plain tutorial in view.

thank you Rodney - i might return about the other constraint though..

John Big--Vern? sympathy much appreciated; i knew the only way to feel more stupid was to ask and read

the answer. was correct. til your post!

itsjustme - those prjs didn't come up when i did searches, wouldn't have found them without help, thank you!

• Hash Fellow

btw, I was thinking the other day that SurfaceConstraint might be the solution to the "train problem", the task of keeping both front and back wheels of a train car on a path. But I haven't investigated further.

btw, I was thinking the other day that SurfaceConstraint might be the solution to the "train problem", the task of keeping both front and back wheels of a train car on a path. But I haven't investigated further.

Neat idea. I don't think it would help with a vehicle (like a car or truck) where the rear wheels don't follow the same path as the front.

• Hash Fellow
Neat idea. I don't think it would help with a vehicle (like a car or truck) where the rear wheels don't follow the same path as the front.

that's why i called it "the Train Problem" ;)