Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Aim at Target and Spherical/Euler limits

wildcard

For me, working with bones and there tool set of constraints is confusing and frustrating.

I know what I want and how I want it, but getting that actually setup in AM is still beyond my skills and understanding of logic.

Capture.PNG

I've got a bird shaped mechanical foot from a Mad Cat I'm trying to model.

Played around with Euler/Spherical limitations and Limit Manipulators, turning off the axis I don't want it to move along.

Setting up restrictions of -15 to 15 degree along the X-axis rotation for the toes.

When manually manipulating/adjusting bones, I'm restricted to follow those limitations.

But when I use the Aim at Target, pointing at a Null, it seems to go passed it's set limitations.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this just how the Aim at Target constraint works, ignoring these set limitations.

The general idea is, that when the foot get lifted from the ground the toes angle downwards slightly and when the get put back on they ground the toe tips will touch the ground first acting as a spring, getting pushed outwards (slightly) as weight is put on it.

Any guidance or push in the right direction is greatly appreciated

Model2.mdl

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But when I use the Aim at Target, pointing at a Null, it seems to go passed it's set limitations.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this just how the Aim at Target constraint works, ignoring these set limitations.

You may have better luck if you also use a "translate limit" constraint on your rear center NULL target (eg +/- cm for x,y,z), and have your rear center pad "aim at" the null (with no euler constraints).

• Hash Fellow

Constraints also have precedence depending on what order they are in the PWS. I forget whether lower is higher, but you can reorder them by dragging them.

Close and reopen your model after that.

:huh: Non of all that made any sense to me.

I'm rereading the technical reference trying to piece to gather what have just been said and I've been instructed with, or at least I think a possible solution has been given, I just don't understand it all yet :unsure:

What Robcat was suggesting was that the order in which the constraints are applied is important

I found that "aim at" followed by "euler constraint" works, but that "euler constraint" followed by "aim at" doesn't.

It is also true that you can reorder the constraints in the "relationship" by dragging them in the PWS. And it is also true that once you've re-ordered the constraints - it is best to save the model, delete it, than re-import it. The changing of constraint order doesn't seem to "take" for me unless I do that. That is why I suggested something different, as I hadn't closed the model, but Robcats way is best.

aimEuler.jpg

AimEulerWork.mdl

EulerAimNowork.mdl

What Robcat was suggesting was that the order in which the constraints are applied is important

I found that "aim at" followed by "euler constraint" works, but that "euler constraint" followed by "aim at" doesn't.

It is also true that you can reorder the constraints in the "relationship" by dragging them in the PWS. And it is also true that once you've re-ordered the constraints - it is best to save the model, delete it, than re-import it. The changing of constraint order doesn't seem to "take" for me unless I do that. That is why I suggested something different, as I hadn't closed the model, but Robcats way is best.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

I believed I ones saw it working, never got it working again, pretty sure I've them listed in the incorrect order.

That picture really helped me, for I was kind of hung up on Roberts PWS thingy. It sounded somewhat familiar, but could not figure out what was mend by it. PWS = Project WorkSpace, I should be emberesed, one of the first things I learned from my training guide

I also fooled around with the translate limits, but I don't believe it's working for me, but I'm pretty sure this is because I'm using it wrong.

Anyway, next time I've multiple constraints setup and something ain't working I'll play around with the order they are sorted in.

That picture really helped me, for I was kind of hung up on Roberts PWS thingy. It sounded somewhat familiar, but could not figure out what was mend by it. PWS = Project WorkSpace, I should be emberesed, one of the first things I learned from my training guide
That's never happened to me, no sir-ree, no, no, no, no, no ... oh, okay, yes it has.

The good thing is there are fewer of those as you learn more.

Changed the order of Aim at Target and Euler Limits and it works as a charm.

I've got the toes working and they aiming nicely at the Null with set limitations the uphold when I lift the whole model up from the ground.

Up to my next challenge in the task list. I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for help sooner than later, but I'll fool around on my own, hoping to discover a solution.

It amazes me how A:M keeps my mind busy, even at work, not sure if that is good or bad yet :lol:

Will try to post a quick animation render, but that's yet another challenge I've not a lot of experience with yet :)

Create two quick animations, my first to be exact. :yay:

Untitled.mov

Untitled2.mov

Will toy around later with the actual animating and recording of my model, for now, it's back to the drawing board to model my self some legs.