sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My first GPS unit

Gerry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly- they are 'brain-dead' easy. I prefer the maps and usability of the Magellan products... I bought the wife a top-o-line Garmin and it was turning her down one-way streets in downtown Detroit... not good- back it went. Also- the freeways were always just drawn as 'a line'... same as a residential street- if you zoom in on the Magellan, you can see both 'sides' of the freeway, interchanges, ramps, service drives, turnarounds...

You might also want to try Geocatching. Go to Geocatching dot com to learn where the catches are. Have fun!

I have one I use a lot ,its great in a big busy city where you mostley can;t see signs for the trafic and its suprising how many short cuts it finds.My only tip is to update it regular especially the quick fix to be able to find satelites faster

• 2 weeks later...

Took the GPS out for a trial spin on Thursday, down to a party on Long Island. Lots of little local roads and we'd been there before so it seemed like a good test run.

On the plus side, the route it gave us was not our usual route, but was actually much prettier and took us around a lot of the suburban sprawl we usually go through. That was a nice surprise.

On the *minus* side (using the word minus lightly), the GPS voice told us we were approaching the "Whitestone Branch", it's actually the Whitestone Bridge but the abbreviation it uses is "Br". And it pronounced "G Wash Br" as "Gee Wash Branch" :blink:

But all in all it did instill confidence for our big trip next week.