Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Better planet material?

I'm working on a music video for my band. The instrumental tune is called Escape from the Mines of Titan, and that pretty much spells out the plot. I just started work, and quickly put together a scene. I just created a surface, added some hills and valleys, and put on some color and roughness that gives it a sandy look. (Saturn behind it is an actual NASA photo.) The real Titan has a landscape more like that of the moon, but I would be OK with keeping it sandy. I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you guys have about improving the look of Titan (maybe a material or image texture?) It's not bad for the small amount of time I've spent on it so far, but it can be improved. Thanks!

MineOfTitanTest1a.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

A few boulders might help the effect. Model a rough lump and put a few larger ones inthe foregournd and smaller ones in the mid ground and maybe none in the distance.

There are several Darksim shaders included with A:M that make terrain-looking surfaces.

If you do some hunting on "grayscale elevation map" you may find an image that could be applied as a displacement map to give you more surface detail.

This one isn't quite a proper elevation map but it's similar, height is represented as brightness:

copernicus.jpg

I want to thank everyone for their kindness in giving me lots of good suggestions. I've tried most of them, and thought I'd share my results with you.

First I tried just applying the photo texture shared above. It didn't quite give the look I was going for.

Example1.jpg

Next I tried the Darktree Lunar texture. This worked OK, but when I tried to scale the texture up much larger (100000%), A:M (15.0j) crashed. When I do the entire moon, it looks like this might be a good one to try.

Example2.jpg

Next I tried the displacement map shared above. When I scaled it up, I ran into some issues with the resolution not being fine enough.

Example3.jpg

I thought if I added some roughness, it might pass, so these are what I got when I tried that:

Example4.jpg Example5.jpg

This was also going to make animating walks, etc. difficult because the height of the displacement doesn't show up in the choreography.

I finally went back to tuning just geometry and roughness, and got something I think I will go with, after a bit more tuning.

Example7.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions!

-Vance

this was a test i ran to show different texture types

the foreground is a color map at 75 opacity with a color overlay and a texture map with bump setting at 5000%.

the background planet is material, darktree stoneIgneous.

ground_testv0.jpg