sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can you recommend a great art history book?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Anyone care to recommend a comprehensive art history book? From cave painting to the current day. One that's genuinely interesting to read.

I've been reading H. W. Janson's "History of Art" which is one of the standards but i find it not as compelling as art should be.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...I typically don't find art history all that interesting to read - but love looking at them purty pictures.

I have Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces - not arranged chronologically, but her writing is lively. Paintings she has chosen are definitely notable, fascinating. She has other books, usually dealing with western art, and usually just paintings, not architecture, sculpture, etc. One that looks like it would be arranged as a history is Sister Wendy's Story of Painting, starting with cave painting.

from the amazon website (Story of Painting):

Sister Wendy, well known in Britain for her BBC series on art history, has produced this exhaustive overview of Western painting. Nearly every development from the Lascaux Cave painters up to the "maze of contemporary artistic experience" is represented, although the main emphasis is placed on the last 800 years. The material is presented in chronological order, and grouped into chapters by trends or movements. A typical chapter includes several of the period's leaders, a few of their most famous works, and supporting material arranged in attractive, eye-catching displays. Over 400 beautiful, full-color reproductions appear; they are often augmented with closeups of particular sections and highlighted portions. Vignettes about the artists' lives, their favorite subjects, and their patrons enliven each selection. Politics, religious beliefs, and other factors that influence the painters are briefly summarized. Insights into art production, special techniques, symbolism, and samples of parallel trends in sculpture, architecture, and in later years, photography, broaden the scope of the book. The writing style is straightforward but lively, neither talking down to readers nor resorting to arcane art-speak

For other than western art - I have "The arts of China" by Michael Sullivan - I haven't read it, but have scoured the photos (terrific and suited my needs). Don't know if I could recommend it as an interesting read.

• Hash Fellow

I have seen Sister Wendy's series on painting and liked that quite a bit and would too recommend that as a good introduction.

I'll look for her book, that sounds promising.