Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lost surface properties when I deleted groups

bubba

I need help. I set up the surface properties (color, transparency, etc) on several parts of my model. I then deleted the groups, not realizing what they do. I "Undo'd" and the groups came back but the properties are still gone from the model. Is there any way I can get the properties re-applied easily?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need help. I set up the surface properties (color, transparency, etc) on several parts of my model. I then deleted the groups, not realizing what they do. I "Undo'd" and the groups came back but the properties are still gone from the model. Is there any way I can get the properties re-applied easily?

Did you save in several versions?

If so, you can reload an old version, rightclick on the group, choose "Create Material from Surface properties" (or something equal).

Now right-click on the new material and choose "Save as". Save it out and close the project without saving. Next reopen the latest version, rightclick on the materials-folder and choose "import". navigate to the position of the created *.mat-file and import it. Now just drag and drop the material on the intended group.

See you

*Fuchur*

What I don't understand is even though I recovered the groups in the PWS, and in the Properties Panel associated with each group were as I left them, the patches in the model did not reflect this. I could not find a "re-apply" command.

What I don't understand is even though I recovered the groups in the PWS, and in the Properties Panel associated with each group were as I left them, the patches in the model did not reflect this. I could not find a "re-apply" command.

Undo has some drawbacks that I try to avoid.

For example: Apply a texture to a patch and delete the patch. Now try to undo... the texture and stamp are still there in the PWS but you wont see them on the model. I think A:M just creates new patches based on the properties of the old once but can't really recreate the patches themselves.

(Easier to understand: If a car (#1) is damaged you can buy a new car (#2) which has exactly the same attributes, looking exactly the same, parking at the exactly same spot but it is still another one...)

Like that the stamps don't have the right informations where to place the texture and like that it is not visible. It tries to set a texture for #1 but #1 is no longer available...

I think undo can't connect #1 and #2 to eachother and like that undo is not always useful.

I rarely use it...

Hope this is understandable and since it is just a guess I hope it is correct.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

I gave this a try...

If i create group, set a color for it, then delete it, then CTRL-z to undo...

the group reappears in the PWS with the color set but the model doesn't appear to have the group colored.

however, if i then close the model window and reopen it the model is colored correctly.

So it appears the group was correctly restored, but the display window needed an extra push to be aware of it all.

Yeah, undo + delete don't really play well together. You'll get your cps and patches back, but any surface details (properties, materials, decals) are gone for good. You'll typically have to reassign 5 points as well.

When I get to a point where I want to delete part of a model that has some decal (or whatever) already assigned to it, I'll make a copy of the model first.

I gave this a try...

however, if i then close the model window and reopen it the model is colored correctly.

So it appears the group was correctly restored, but the display window needed an extra push to be aware of it all.

You are absolutely correct. At 2:00 am this morning when I was thoroughly disgusted with myself for being "stupid" I just closed the project. Opening it now I see that the properties have returned to the groups.

However, and there always seems to be a however - the properties have been applied to all the patches, not just the ones I originally described. I have taken a screen shot of what I was doing. It is supposed to be a series of windows separated by solid blocks of whatever.

Screen_shot_2011_01_25_at_1.50.20_PM.jpg

And I don't know how to fix them.

• Hash Fellow
And I don't know how to fix them.

With out knowing what you did to get the odd result I'll say this... you had the properties assigned before, right?

Delete them and redo it. You know where you want what you want. Just do it again and remember to save versions so you can recover after a mistake.

That will go much faster than hunting for some solution to undo a problem that we dont' know how it happened in the first place.