Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Alcatraz revisited

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
To get the camera shot to look similar to the one in the pic what color of the light would you use ?

In that pic it looks like there are lights in the cells. Reddish lights.

And it looks like there's some sort of blue skylight at the top, but that's not overpowering the interior lights.

I added the reddish color to the cell light and couldn't get the blue skylight. I done a bump map of the floor. I had to rescale every thing the ground floor got pushed down bummer but this is what I came up with still tweaking it.

alcaraz_prison_3d_model_12.jpg

Can I export this full mode in the choreograph l into another project in A:M, I done everything separate then put it together in choreograph.

• Hash Fellow

that's a good step forward. Maybe a more yellow than red light is in order.

Somehow you need to get more contrast in the image. The brights brighter and the darks darker.

Here's some Photoshop tweaking on your render where I crunched the brights and darks and added some soft focus to make it more resemble the reference photo you showed.

AlcaCrunch.JPG

• Admin
Can I export this full model in the choreograph l into another project in A:M, I done everything separate then put it together in choreograph.

Sure can. Right click in the Chor and Save as Model.

***BEFORE doing this you should save what you've got now so if you ever what to go back to it you can.***

Then just work with the new Model.

You are already on the right track but in reading back I want to make sure everyone is aware of this option:

To get the camera shot to look similar to the one in the pic what color of the light would you use ?

I would try to use that image (or a blurred variation of it) to light the scene via Image Based Lighting.

You can find the Image Based Lighting settings by right clicking on the Choreography name in the PWS and opening Properties.

Select Global Ambiance and then choose Image Based Lighting from the drop down menu.

(It'll help to find your image if you've already added it in A:M)

You can adjust the Exposure level and then tweak the lights in your scene after that to taste.

As Rob suggests you are getting close!

Keep in mind that there is light emitting from each of the cells and once you add that it'll really brighten up the scene.

You may want to use a few strategically placed white lights set to negative settings to darken and pull the light out of those areas.

This will allow the individual lights to control their own space.

Note: I may have to back off of this suggestion to use negative lighting extensively because what is seen in preview can be a lot different than what appears in final render. When using negative lights check to make sure you've set your render settings to use the camera in your scene.

I added some yellow and white light in the cell and played with the Image Based Lighting and bumped the exposure up to 20 playing with the setting. when you look at the first top rails it's got like a transparency thing going hmmmmm in the model the transparency not set hmmmmm wird. Think I'll play with this a little bit and work on the Island part don't won't to get burned out on the project.

alcaraz_prison_3d_model_15.jpg

• Admin

That's looking nice!

Looks lived in too.

For the skylight showing through at the top you may be able to get away with patches with a high percentage set on their ambiance setting and color=light blue.

Turning up the reflectivity on some of the metal up there next to those lights might then largely complete the illusion of light shining in from the roof.

Added: I notice in your screen capture that you don't have a picture assigned to your IBL (under the Environment Map setting it indicates "None").

I'm not sure what to think of that but it appears you aren't using the image for your lighting therefore... no IBL.

Without the image specified you aren't getting the IBL effect into your scene.