Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

hard cloth material

jason1025

I am trying to drop some objects in a cloth bag. I have the bag material but I cant make a hard cloth material that allows the objects like plastic or metal to maintain their shape. Deflector cloths don't seem to get effected by gravity. Newton dynamics and cloth have undesirable effects as well.

Any ideas or hard cloth materials to donate?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to drop some objects in a cloth bag. I have the bag material but I cant make a hard cloth material that allows the objects like plastic or metal to maintain their shape. Deflector cloths don't seem to get effected by gravity. Newton dynamics and cloth have undesirable effects as well.

Any ideas or hard cloth materials to donate?

Animate it by hand... will be faster, easier and can look as good as a cloth-simulation and the setup to get it right.

*Fuchur*

i was recently trying a similar thing... that´s what i came up with... i ended up animating the words by hand, because i wanted the words lo land on top of each other, and with cloth simulation they just wouldn´t stay on top, they were always falling down... also i couldn´t get rid of the jittering, and that bothered me...

the ability to maintain it´s shape depends a lot on the grid-resolution, denser models require other settings, you just have to play around with them, until it fits your needs... i hope it helps..

audioanim_low.mov

clothtest.prj.zip

depends on how much control you´d like to have over the items, animating by hand could be less time consuming. for the cloth simulation above i fiddled around at least for 6 hours or so, remodeling the word (since geometry makes a huge difference, i´ve tried many variations) ,adjusting the cloth settings and running simulations... at the end i spend a whole day and wasn´t yet able to get a satisfying result. if it wouldn´t have mattered where exactly the words should land and if the camera weren´t that close, so the jittering wouldn´t stand out that much, it would have been a good solution to do this with cloth i think. but if you want full control, i recommend animating by hand.

here´s the final animation, all animated by hand, no dynamics, no cloth, you can imagine that i would have taken a lot of patience to achieve that with cloth. at the end i liked the motion better that way, even though the physics are not completely realistic. but i some cases that´s a good thing i think...

ld_anim_2011_low.mov

• Hash Fellow

Whenever you try something like this, start with a simplest possible case like dropping one hard object on one soft one.

For cloth hard objects choose Springs for stretch type and bend type and set the stiffness very high, at least a thousand.

• Hash Fellow
I doubted it, but it is possible to create a cloth pocket and drop something in it.

Is... that a green banana in your pocket- or are you just happy to see us...?

Seriously tho--- cool test... BOTH objects are cloth, right?

Yes, both are cloth. Half the battle was getting it to fall into the pocket