• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Hey, that looks pretty nice!

I suppose one thing that would plus it is to have a tiny bevel on all the edges so they're not so perfectly sharp. That's tricky to do after the fact, it's easier to build the bevel into the shapes when you're making them.

I don't know much about gun terminology so i can't give any quick pointers like the _____ needs to be rounder or something like that.

That is a nice model, did you render that in multi-pass? Seems like there are a couple of artifacts on the bottom front of the grip and bottom front just under the barrel. Hard to tell without a wire frame view of the model. Sometimes the bias handles try to auto correct their direction resulting in small pinches on the patches, this should be really easy to fix if that is the case. Simply run the bias handle tangent to the line.

I run into that quite a bit here and kind of wish there was an option to freeze the handles or have them not auto correct. From what I gathered in other talks on this is that they put that in to make it easier for the organic modeling such as characters so they smooth out on their own. This makes for a little bit more work on mechanical models.

If you want to see some of the best mechanical spline work out there take a look at Ageps stuff. His technique is flawless. I wish he tossed together some tutorials.

• Hash Fellow
I am attaching some pictures of what I think you mean by the beveling improvements

Yes, just about an place where two surfaces meet to form an edge is a candidate for having a bevel, although depending on how the model will be seen many can be skipped. For example if your gun will mostly be seen in someone's hand, beveling the trigger parts may be overkill.

I made a short vid about building bevels into your cross sections before lathe or extrude. Look for "Think ahead":

http://www.brilliantisland.com/am/amtutorials.htm