Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My 3d head

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to reorient/direct the spineabge to take advantage of the contours of your face. At the moment you basically have a grid. You want loops around the eyes, mouth and nose then larger loops around the face to match the muscle groups. This will make it easier to achieve the nice curves of the face.

Cheers

• Hash Fellow

when I'm modeling I like to think "peaks and valleys". I try to have splines only on the peaks and valleys of the contours and not on the in-between. The in-between will be naturally smooth if there's nothing in the middle of it.

For example, when i look at the contour of the nose I see more splines there than just the peaks and valleys.

Okey Dokeys, a few things stand out to me. For starters, that's an improvement on the density, but it can be lowered even more. Try to adapt those concentric rings to the mouth as well as the eyes. Try to avoid the grid thing as much as possible. In fact, the onle really "grid" type line will most like be a center spline running through the middle of the face horizontally.

So time for more illustrations! The red indicates splines that can and should go. The green is splines that should most likely go, but I can't tell without working the model myself. Thirdly, the yellow are places where trouble will arise when trying to pose/animate.

post-9859-1290053741_thumb.jpg

Now in this illustration, I've drawn up a mock mesh. Though this won't be entirely accurate due to it not being modeled, you can get an idea of what the mesh for your face should most likely look like. The nose only needs a couple splines, only have splines where definition is necessary, namely, the nostrils (which even I can't model yet). Notice the rings around the mouth and the eye and how some even flow into each other. It's a good idea to use hooks to end splines when they become unnecessary, however, don't use hooks or five pointers on key ares, such as the corner of the mouth as that will cause creasing and other artifacts once posed.

post-9859-1290053853_thumb.jpg

One thing that Darkwing touched on but didn't really explain: you don't want to have more than four splines connecting at any one CP.

5.jpg

This creates the creases you see, and will look horrid when animating. Darkwing's above illustration is one solution to the problem.

Yeah, I should've gone into that. The key with faces and especially lips because they do a fair amount of moving and posing, is to keep it all legal 4-point patches, meaning two splines per CP and four CPs per pathch. You will most likely get to a point where a 5-point patch is required, but the further out in the face you can push that, the better, because then it won't be experiencing as much movement and won't be that noticeable

The big thing now is shaping. You're not following the contours of your face. For instance, unless you're a cartoon french evil megalomanic, your chin isn't going to be that pointy and it isn't according to your rotos. This is now the sculpting stage by the looks of it and the splinage has a definite improvement to it. You'll want to clean up the eye socket area as your splines are "wavy" which will cause a bunch of bumping. Keep things smooth and straight or keep the curve running through the hole spline

• Hash Fellow

Compared to your pictures, the area under the eye seems too sunken into the head. There's also something odd on the chin causing a crease.

Somewhere around here there's a long tut by Jim TAlbot i think about decaling a face. He used photoshop but any decent paint program would do.