Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Smoke and fog problem

agep

I am having problem with the sprite system. I am unable to create a depth map when using a smoke emitter and fog. I looks like the emitter ignores the fog, and stays bright white no matter what. Using the depth Buffer doesn't work either, the Depth Buffer doesnt render the smoke at all. Can anyone take a look at this problem before I report it? I might have missed something elementary.

I could fake it by giving the smoke a grey tint, but it would not be the best solution, since the camera is going to be moving

smoke_fog0.png smoke_fog_DepthBuffer0.png

smoke.zip

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's probably greatly complicated by the fact that the particles are transparent.

Hair with an image with alpha (leaf) renders fine though

What will you be doing with the depth map?
I am going to use the depth map to make Depth Of Field on a Thomas and friends animation test I am currently rendering. Reason why I don't use A:M's own DOF, is because of the increased rendertime (on top of the 15hr per frame sequence) and the lack of control in post. With a depth map I can control where to set my focal point in post

• Hash Fellow
It's probably greatly complicated by the fact that the particles are transparent.

Hair with an image with alpha (leaf) renders fine though

report it then and see if it can be done.

I wonder what is the "depth" at a 50% transparent surface? There is no single right answer.

What will you be doing with the depth map?
I am going to use the depth map to make Depth Of Field on a Thomas and friends animation test I am currently rendering. Reason why I don't use A:M's own DOF, is because of the increased rendertime (on top of the 15hr per frame sequence) and the lack of control in post. With a depth map I can control where to set my focal point in post

For now I'd say render the smoke separately and approximate the DOF in post.