Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Converting OBJ files to TGA files

newbie 28

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone could make some suggestions on how to convert OBJ files to TGA files. I tried looking at a few online converters, many of which do not seem to recognize OBJ. I also tried Hamapatch and Tatara, but the OBJ files would not load. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since an .obj file is a 3d file, and .tga is a 2d file, I think you're going to have a very hard time converting... What is it you're trying to do?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for asking. I am trying to make sculpted prims to use in a virtual world....after I had done the original post, I found something that suggested that it might also work to convert the obj to a bmp file...but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks so much for asking. I am trying to make sculpted prims to use in a virtual world....after I had done the original post, I found something that suggested that it might also work to convert the obj to a bmp file.

I'm not sure what you mean by "prims".

Obj = 3D model

Bmp = bitmap (a 2D image file)

You can create a 2D image, (tga, bmp, jpg, png, whatever), by rendering a view of a model. There are several model types that A:M can import as props of which Wavefront "Obj" files are just one. You cannot just load obj fles into A:M however, you must right click in a model window and choose plugins\import\obj but you must have the obj plugin installed in you hxt folder first. I'm not sure if the obj import/export plugin comes as standard with A:M these days. I know that it was third party in the past.

---------------------

Here is a link to Arthur Walasek's A:M plugins, which include the obj importer that you will require:

Arthur Walasek's Plugin Page

I'm not sure what you mean by "prims".

Obj = 3D model

Bmp = bitmap (a 2D image file)

You can create a 2D image, (tga, bmp, jpg, png, whatever), by rendering a view of a model. There are several model types that A:M can import as props of which Wavefront "Obj" files are just one. You cannot just load obj fles into A:M however, you must right click in a model window and choose plugins\import\obj but you must have the obj plugin installed in you hxt folder first. I'm not sure if the obj import/export plugin comes as standard with A:M these days. I know that it was third party in the past.

---------------------

Here is a link to Arthur Walasek's A:M plugins, which include the obj importer that you will require:

Arthur Walasek's Plugin Page

"Prim" is short for primitive; a prim is a single unit of any shape/size, used for building in some virtual worlds. So, I am trying to take what I create in A:M out; I will take a look at your link. Thanks very much for your input.

• Hash Fellow

What you are asking doesn't quite make sense. I suspect there are several terms confused.

However, If you're on A:M v15 the OBJ importer will be included already

If you just need to render the obj into a flat image you can

RightMouseClick on the Objects folder in the PWS>Import>Prop

The imported OBJ can be put in a chor and lit any way you want and you can render the scene to a TGA.

Imported OBJ often look washed out or too bright. You will need to set the "ambiance" for all the groups in the object to zero.

• Admin

The answers are all there in these responses but I'll offer this:

The steps to convert an Object (OBJ) to an image (in this case the Targa image (TGA) are:

Open program

Import Object

Render out the image

The easiest way to convert an OBJ file to a Targa file is:

Open Program

Import .OBJ file.

Press the Prt Scr (Print Screen key on a PC)

Paste into an image program

Save as a .TGA image

Just as in this discussion there are some details that may get lost in the processing/translation.

The problem with this process is that there will be little use for the captured image as it is at this stage.

Capturing (or rendering also) does not automatically leave only the object in the image.

To do this in Animation:Master:

Open A:M

Import .OBJ file (as a Prop for best results) Note: The .OBJ file now is technically no longer an .OBJ file

Place the Prop in a Scene

Select the Render button and make sure the following options are set:

- Image format (Set the format to .TGA which is the Targa image format)

- Buffer (Set the Alpha Channel to on which will make empty space behind the Prop transparent)

Render out the image

Use the Targa image in a program that is designed to use and take advantage of the Targa image format

You can see several potential nodes of failure here. Namely:

- The .OBJ file does not import properly into A:M

- The Prop is not properly placed into a scene

- The Render options are set incorrectly

- The program you are going to use doesn't support the Targa image format.

Now I'm looking to deeply into this. ;)

There are several lessons that need to be learned here:

1. 3D file formats - How to identify and effectively use them

2. 2D file formats - How to identify and effectively use them

3. How to select the best image format for your needs

4. Assuming the desired format is .TGA, How to create a Targa image (by editing, capturing, converting or rendering)

You'll need to understand these basic elements for each program you are using.

Looks like you are well on the way to mastering these.