Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

illustrator file to extrude with AI wizard...

new guy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I don't have Illustrator but I couldn't even open those in Macromedia Freehand which reads AI files.

Is your shape just lines, continuous closed shapes with no fills or shading or intersections?

Try saving in AI5 or AI7 format. AI5 is what I've been using from Freehand.

Hi Robert,

They are continuos closed shapes with no shading or intersections. I made them in IL CS4 and saved them all as 2 files... IL CS4 and 8. ILCS4 doesn't have the 5 or 7 option. tears! This is strange, no?

I don't have Illustrator but I couldn't even open those in Macromedia Freehand which reads AI files.

Is your shape just lines, continuous closed shapes with no fills or shading or intersections?

Try saving in AI5 or AI7 format. AI5 is what I've been using from Freehand.

• Hash Fellow

Aha! I was able to import them into Flash and export to AI5 from there and they do load into A:M.

No guarantees here...

Toyota_Flash.zip

vectorlogos0.jpg

These are so much smaller than your original files that I have to think there is some export option selected wrong or an inappropriate default in your version of AI. There's no way these simple logos should be taking up 100K. But I don't have CS4 and probably never will so I can't guess beyond that

Aha! I was able to import them into Flash and export to AI5 from there and they do load into A:M.

No guarantees here...

Toyota_Flash.zip

post-544-1268067511_thumb.jpg

These are so much smaller than your original files that I have to think there is some export option selected wrong or an inappropriate default in your version of AI. There's no way these simple logos should be taking up 100K. But I don't have CS4 and probably never will so I can't guess beyond that

Presto! Robert the Amazing! Thanks! Took me hours and still didn't get it.lol Gonna have to figure out what's up with IL and the exporting.

I've attached two more IL files. Same problem. Anyone know how to solve this?

When I try to open these files in AI CS3, it says "The file "toyota.ai" (and "park.ai") was generated by a newer version of Illustrator. etc ...

Not sure, but I think that means AI CS3 is not interpreting these as being saved as AIv5 or AIv9... or whatever you intended to save them as.

I do find cases sometimes where the AI plug-in chokes on bringing in an Illustrator file, but I've been using CS4 for sometime now and I can confirm that saving out as an AI8 file works with the plug-in. Look out for weirdness in your AI paths before you export. Lots of times I'll Expand a complicated drawing and discover that AI has some points stacked on top of each other. The rounded rectangle tool does that if you draw something pill-shaped. The plug-in doesn't seem to like that.

No guarantees here...

Toyota_Flash.zip

post-544-1268067511_thumb.jpg

Robert, can you post that Toyota logo model on here? I'm still trying, but it just gets all messed up with creases and stuff. Yours looks wonderful!

I didn't really save them so i just ran them thru again.

Mine aren't perfect either, you'll probably still have to do some repair. And your stuck with whatever I chose to for the parameters. But here they are.

ToyotaLogos.mdl

You were right (as usual) about having to repair some things. Thanks for the upload!