sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

importing 3ds models won't work

kevin0

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

You mean that model always gets an error. I'm going to guess there's something non-standard about that model file. Perhaps there is a missing texture file?. I was able to import this simple .3ds i grabbed off the web without an error. It's an all-triangle model so it doesn't convert well, but the import did finish like it was supposed to.

f111_3ds.zip

You might try opening and resaving your model in a polygon app, maybe that would fix the file. If it's a triangular mesh, it's a very, very bad candidate for using in A:M, however, and not worth the bother. Aren't all .3ds meshes triangles?

You mean that model always gets an error. I'm going to guess there's something non-standard about that model file. Perhaps there is a missing texture file?. I was able to import this simple .3ds i grabbed off the web without an error. It's an all-triangle model so it doesn't convert well, but the import did finish like it was supposed to.

f111_3ds.zip

You might try opening and resaving your model in a polygon app, maybe that would fix the file. If it's a triangular mesh, it's a very, very bad candidate for using in A:M, however, and not worth the bother. Aren't all .3ds meshes triangles?

thanks for that; it still did not work and it gave me the same error message; i am using the import plugin and it does not work with any 3ds model

any ideas?

kev

• Admin

One of the easiest ways to test to see if its the Importer or the model is to Export a model out of A:M to 3ds.

Then reimport that model.

If it imports fine... its your model.

If not... update/reinstall the plugin.

Are you trying to import as a PROP? That is the best way to use a .3ds file in A:M....

I'm assuming that props are still not able to be rig for animation, and texture, then that would be the best bet.

There is a free 3D plug in that can convert and export to 3DS or OBJ, and DXF that will work for AM called "Wings3D" The latest version works smoothly. I prefer OBJ in Quad polygon format.