Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My BedRoom

I have been thinking of starting a project over winter break. Of the ideas I had the idea to "3d-erize" my room won.

I started so far by just modeling the main objects in my room: desk, shelves, dresser, bed. The bed right now is just a modified version of the bench from my piano project, It is just there to a be a deformer for the cloth system sheets I plan to put over it.

post-11793-1261500839_thumb.png

1 Light, radiosity about 2 hours 4x4pass

post-11793-1261500858_thumb.jpg

Note- There is quite a bit of distortion from the 15mm perspective.

Photoman

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to get some feedback, thanks!

Update!

Gots more done. The room now has closet doors, real windows, blinds, comforter on bed, shelf on wall, chair (off the A:M CD), and also now has basic bumps and shaders (no materials yet) .

post-11793-1261526830_thumb.png post-11793-1261526867_thumb.png post-11793-1261526895_thumb.png

Basic lighting, 2 bulbs with shadows.

Had an idea to make the carpet a hair emitter, but I think that would be a little too much, plus my computer would definetly slap me :lol:

Texturing is going to be interesting, I plan to make a simple procedural material possibly bitmapped based for as many of the materials as I can, I don't really want to decal/uv everything.

@JBigboote I plan to use the benslens on this scene, but not until it is done, because it increases the render time to much will I am working

More coming

Photoman

Not bad for a vampire. I don't think I'll ever have the patience to tinker with radiosity though. One test, two hours, oh darn, that didn't come out as expected...Second test, two + hours, hmmm, still not quite what I was thinking...After 24 hours, hmmm, not being very productive.

Did you go through Yves radiosity tuts to get you started?

I agree with you Eric, Radiosity is a bit slow, but it is the only way I can achieve the type of lighting and look that I want with this scene. I do wish AO would would give nice results for interiors but it doesnt.

The style I am going for is mostly one light with harsh/sharp shadows and having the rest of the room with diffused bounce light.

I find that if I increase the photon amount and render at low res and at a low sampling rate I can get relatively fast "test renders" about the half hour range. Overnight I set a larger higher quality render.

Latest test render:

post-11793-1261547974_thumb.png

I plan to tone done the bounce light a little but its the basic effect Im am looking for.

I really wish the Radiosity engine didnt mess with specularity soo much, Ive had to alter all my shaders to comply with that (I have about 30+ shaders including props).

post-11793-1261548082_thumb.png

I added some props. Some are my models, others are off the disk and others are from the forum! Hmm Maybe I could add Waldo somewhere and see if anyone could spot him?

Photoman

OK, I got to ask.

You seem to really understand a LOT about lighting, reflections, radiosity, specularity, an on and etc.

Where did you learn it?

I mean was it a class you took, books, photography????

Just really curious because you show a real great grasp of the whole topic, where as I don't even know what questions to ask most of the time.

Your work is spectacular!

OK, I got to ask.

You seem to really understand a LOT about lighting, reflections, radiosity, specularity, an on and etc.

Where did you learn it?

I mean was it a class you took, books, photography????

Just really curious because you show a real great grasp of the whole topic, where as I don't even know what questions to ask most of the time.

Your work is spectacular!

First off, Thanks!

I learned everything through either tutorials (Yves tutorial is very informative for radiosity) or just going in and figuring out how to do it, (if you looked onto my harddrive there are about 100+ random test projects where Ive fiddle with a different feature)

As for anything else I learned, that would probably be from reading articles and other WIP's on here or at cgtalk.com . I also apply certain photographic skills too, (rule of thirds, etc..)

And for me grasping all of A:M, that is not true. Just try to get me to model an organic model rig it, smart skin it, pose, and animate it.... I havent mastered any of those (or dare try yet)

>>>>><<<<<<

Minor update!

Added materials to most everything, still needs some tweaking though.

Darktrees and simple materials mostly.

post-11793-1261607417_thumb.png

1:35:42 9pass 50samples

I still need to fill up the room though, I need to put my posters up and back in the garbage truck and dump all the junk I have on my floor in. :D

Hmm just though of this, Is it weird that I am working in the exact spot I am modeling, with the same viewing angle?

Photoman

Quick Update!

Been fiddling with radiosity a bit. I found one of Yves amazing tutorials on the eXtra CD while I was searching for props. I read it, downloaded the CalcSurface plugin and I now have a more optimized radiosity setup.

I am amazed at how many models and materials and whatnot is actually on the eXtra CD!!!

post-11793-1261629015_thumb.png

Not optimized, but looks very clean. about 3 hours, 4x4pass

I also plan on adding in a marble roller coaster somewhere in the scene hehe.

Photoman