Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

candle light problem?

sir fen the usa

so im using the flame sprites that i grabbed from the tuts extra cd for a candle flame. the problem i found is that for some reason the candles glass container seems to block the bottom of the flame. i should be able to see the flame through the transparent glass. must be some parameter setting i missed?

candle_flame_test.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

could not seem to find the sprite transparency additive. but i took another tut and added a simple dbl sided transparent model and my candle model. the simple tranparent model is fine and you can see the flames through it. but my candle model just reflects the flame and you cannot see through it.

candle_flame_test2.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I got the problem the first time I tried it, but can't repeat it.

try this sample project

set your render tab to "Use camera settings"

(corrected PRJ below)

SpriteFinal22.jpg

"Additive color" is there under Sprite emitter, although it's not a factor in this case.

refraction is not an issue either.

I got the problem the first time I tried it, but can't repeat it.

try this sample project

set your render tab to "Use camera settings"

SpriteFinal22.jpg

"Additive color" is there under Sprite emitter, although it's not a factor in this case.

refraction is not an issue either.

missing the glass model?

I had that same problem a couple of years back. I thought maybe it was becqause I had double thick glass (two planes instead of one) but I just did a test and that doesn't seem to cause it. Back when I did it there wasn't any refraction property in AM yet. Finally I decided not to worry about it because people were looking at the bottle and not the fire anyway, but it bugged me to no end. I hadn't tried fire with v15 until tonight and it seems to work fine. A couple of things I can think of are: what version are you using? Another is that I too took my emitter from an AM tut - campfire one - tonight however I made my own. Good Luck.

Doug

Gw_Grant_with_fire.jpg

I had that same problem a couple of years back. I thought maybe it was becqause I had double thick glass (two planes instead of one) but I just did a test and that doesn't seem to cause it. Back when I did it there wasn't any refraction property in AM yet. Finally I decided not to worry about it because people were looking at the bottle and not the fire anyway, but it bugged me to no end. I hadn't tried fire with v15 until tonight and it seems to work fine. A couple of things I can think of are: what version are you using? Another is that I too took my emitter from an AM tut - campfire one - tonight however I made my own. Good Luck.

Doug

were you or are now using sprites or streaks? im on ver 15.0g

it seems that sprites work but im having a hard time getting them took look right. i love the streaks flame but they just dont seem to show through a model, transparent or not.

it would be nice to have a generic flame material....

Yeah, I think I was using streaks. But tonight I did it with sprites. It does take a bit of doing to get them to look just right. Try some different shaped image files, and combine them with other image files, maybe. Try different transparencies. Try diminishing them over time in terms of size and opacity. It seems like a limited medium (particles) when you start, but then you learn to juggle them around to great effect. Here's an explosion I made the other day - being a bit more experienced now, it took me 2 or 3 hours.

>>but im having a hard time getting them took look right

You mean look right in just in a fire sort of way, or are you still having trouble with the glass?

Doug

Explosion_Test_2.mov

>>just dont seem to show through a model, transparent or not.

I don't know. That sucks. Try making everything from scratch in a new prj. Just enough to see where it goes wrong. For example, make a vase. Make a transparent emitter object in the vase. Attach a sprite material to the emitter. Put some glass in front of it (not the glass you've already used). Try double-plained glass against single planed glass, flat against round. See what happens.

Doug