sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

obj export

I tried to export a clean obj polygonmesh from an absolut symetrical patch model (A)

and get strange ireggularities especially in the fivepointpatches. (see shoulders picture B)

As the model is symetrical I would it expect to export with at least symetrical iregularities as well.

How come and could this be avoided somehow?

ObjExTestA.jpg

ObjExTestB.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you using the variable option? I found that the Variable is just that, it creates variable subdivisions. Your best bet is to export out as just a single tessellation and apply a catmul clark or doo sabian smooth from within the target appliaction.

I did a test last night by making a rounded end cone (simple lathe object) and where the curve was it subdivided every other patch and created edges that ended to another edge like a hook. These usually smooth and triangulate poorly.

What would be cool is if we could create named groups and use those tags to create smooth groups, maybe through a user defined property. I could see that working well for game development.

I exported 1 poly per patch and since the original patch mesh was absolutly symetrical

I would expect the resulting obj polymesh also to be symetrical, right?

I don`t know nothing about polymodeling, so am not capable of doing any correctings later.

My intention was, to get a clean polymesh on which I could paint on some displacements later with another app.

Polygons are actually triangular so each of those patches should produce two polygons. Five point patches of course must be broken down further. Polygons also have something called winding which basically determines in which direstion, (clockwise or counter clockwise), that the polygons will be drawn. Even ngons are polygons really. Perhaps that is the problem. Perhaps the conversion plugin has to construct a model with identical winding everywhere.

Anyway, can you just take the best half of the model and flip and weld in the other program? Not the solution that you were looking for, I know. :(

Edit: Oops! Robert posted while I was typing.

I don't think you have to worry too much about that little detail in Zbrush, especially for testing purposes. The subdividing that you will do in Zbrush will still give you a beautifully detailed mesh.