Rubik's Cube

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jesse....

Nice animation... I noticed that you rotate just one axis.. I already worked in a similar project in 2005 but rotating in the 3 axis, you can check it here

Hi Jesse....

Nice animation... I noticed that you rotate just one axis.. I already worked in a similar project in 2005 but rotating in the 3 axis, you can check it here

Thanks, I chose to keep it simple because it needed bones as it is going to be "alive" and animated. (Muscle motion will over-complicate things.)

I'm rendering out a test with the eyes right now =)

I like him, Jesse!

This thread did have me thinking about the rigging issue, though. Never thought about rigging a Rubik's cube before. I may have to play with an idea or two just for my own sense of puzzle solving. :-)

I was in junior high when the Rubik's cube craze hit in the US. Our teachers hated those things. I learned to solve it from one of the books that was out at the time, which mostly involved memorizing strings of movements based on what you wanted to do with the different layers. I entered a contest at a local department store and came in second place, because there was one string that I hadn't memorized and I so I had to keep resolving it until I got to a situation that didn't need that one.

I bought one a few years ago and was really bummed out at the lack of quality. In the old days, the stickers weren't paper, but some sort of vinyl. After just a few minutes of playing with it, the colors started to rub off of the stickers.

I like him, Jesse!

I bought one a few years ago and was really bummed out at the lack of quality. In the old days, the stickers weren't paper, but some sort of vinyl. After just a few minutes of playing with it, the colors started to rub off of the stickers.

Wow - I should address that in an email to the company. I'm interested to know if they've changed it back. My old one (circa 1982) was nigh indestructible...I'd be disappointed if they had cheapened the product.

Okay, final test. Cube character all rigged. The the eyes and mouth are accomplished with distortion boxes. Distortion boxes were the "save-the-day" feature here - allowing for squash-and-stretch (it is subtle but there) regardless of cube orientation. (Which leads me to believe that they would have been the key to a fully functioning rigging of a non-anthropomorphic Rubik's Cube.)

But this guy, nicknamed "Rude Cube" is my take on the new mascot for Rubik's Cube. (For my Advertising Design class, anyhow. He demands "solve me!" at the end of the clip.

rcubetest4.mov

Now that I have the base character, I'm prepared for the next four weeks of projects =)

Thanks, Hash!

Apparently the patent on the design of the original Rubik's Cube has "run out' so there were bunches of "copies" made that weren't "official" Rubik's cubes. The original design or mechanism had a flaw that would allow it to pop apart more easily. So the "official" Rubik's cube these days has a NEW patented mechanism that is more recent and has a new patent.

A long time ago I had this idea to make hand crafted "Cube Puzzles" at a much larger size than the original and made of different materials like wood, metal or ceramic tiles or a combination. I have an AM model of the "parts" of the original design to make the "base" internal components for the cube mechanism. I had planned to send these out for "rapid prototyping" with a more long lasting stable resin or plastic final product. I checked into this and it isn't too expensive (getting cheaper all the time). They could make a mold of the prototype and then cast additional copies as needed.

I had designed the AM model to have a place where I can attach hand carved or decorated wooden tiles to the outer surface. For instance I might use different types of wood for each side, or have different designs carved into the tiles for each side. I could also use ceramic tiles (I had hoped that my cousin who is a talented potter could create some tiles for this but... he has since become a missionary and is off in some remote jungle or desert helping people find Jesus, which is commendable but contrary to MY needs dagnabbit. ;) .)

My initial design was originally entirely made of wood. But the work involved was extensive. Each "block" has to form a sphere inside. I had to cut and shape the corners and other tiles parts with this spherical inside surface. It also requires "cylinder" posts running through the center for each side. I had thought to replace these internal posts with metal rods for more stability but then this rapid prototyping thing came along.

I am thrilled now that the Rubik's Cube craze has sort of resurfaced somewhat. I really need to build a few of these "executive" cube puzzle art pieces and see if they sell. I think my prototype is about 7" or 8" cubed. Still small enough to work the puzzle but larger for display purposes.

-vern