Footprints in the sand...

Kelley

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started playing with displacement maps. All seems well until render time, where the displacement does want to show. I can see the effect of the map in the Model wiondow. I can see the area of the map in the Choreography...but when I render out a screen shot...?

DIS_MAP_MODEL_01.jpg

DIS_MAP_CHOR_01.jpg

DIS_BUMP.jpg

Started playing with displacement maps. All seems well until render time, where the displacement does want to show. I can see the effect of the map in the Model wiondow. I can see the area of the map in the Choreography...but when I render out a screen shot...?

Are you sure that is rendered, or is it just a screenshot? if it is rendered it should work. It wont show without rendering.

It wont show without rendering.

Good point. I have fallen into the habit of using 'rendered' interchangably with 'screeshot'...which the previous shots were. But I 'rendered' an 11-second animation [didn't take all 11-secs to see where it was going] The deep distortion is by moving CP's down in the Model Window. The Displacement Map is next to it.

DIS_TEST.jpg

How high do you have the displacement % of the map? Try something like 10000%.

Here's short of two renders: one at 10,000% and the other at 50,000% [that's some fierce numbers] but the effect is lees than hoped for.

50000.jpg

Kelley what color are the footprints remember black is down

Nice test. That's what I'm looking for. Here's two pics: First, a section of map I used, and a screen cap. from the Model Window. Obviously, the program thinks something is happening, but it won;t show. I was amazed that the program responded to such a big number. Most have an upper limit, after which nothing happens.

DIS_MAP_50_000.jpg

DISPL_MAP_BEAST.jpg

this maybe a dumb question but in the chor do you have a ground plane that might be hiding the displacement

John: I did have a Ground Plane. I removed it and all is the same. Besides, my plane with the displacement map was high enough up off the 0,0,0 that the CP's moved by hand still showed. Here's two shots showing a Side View and Camera view. As you can see from the Camera shot, something's going on, but it's not showing on the plane itself.

DIS_04.jpg

• Hash Fellow

the depression that IS working is a bump map? It looks like we're seeing perspective and overlapping edges on that and that doesn't happen with bump maps.

Yes, post a sample project and let someone try it. Don't forget to include the map.

• Hash Fellow

I substituted my own depth map (a blurred black R) for the missing one. At first it didn't work, then I changed it to bump, then I changed it back to Depth, and it seems to work.

depthscreengrab.jpg

make sure there isn't an alpha channel in your depth map.