Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First attempt at character

TheSpleen

This is my first attempt at creating a character. So he is not so good yet.

My splinemanship needs improving but I have no dead ends nor do I have more than 4 intersecting splines. I kinda like his look though.

I started with the stock rabbit character and redid the body a bit. and completely made the head from scratch.

I am welcoming all crits and advice. His body is fully rigged as the rabbit was, but I still need to rig his head, eyes, and mouth.

I only posted this so that I could get advice and crits. So please hit me hard.

This is a learning experience.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I like the lop-sided eyes.

I'm presuming the ear is bit of a place holder right now. The side of the head seems very flat, that's a bit odd.

post a wire of the side view so we can see how the splines are there.

I like the lop-sided eyes.

I'm presuming the ear is bit of a place holder right now. The side of the head seems very flat, that's a bit odd.

post a wire of the side view so we can see how the splines are there.

No the ear is attatched quite well.

I can easily round off the head and probably should.

Booting up big puter now to get you that picture of side view.

• Hash Fellow

There are many details an experienced modeler woudl do differently, but really, for a first time out this is pretty successful.

Here are some easy to spot spline errors that I thought we got you to not do on the last exercise :rolleyes:

mm2marked.jpg

Directly attaching the teeth to the lips is probably not a good strategy. When you rig the lips for talking and smiling and stuff they'd be dragging the teeth along with them.

I think modeling the mouth in a neutral pose rather than a smile is easier for rigging.

But I like the concept of the character, especially the non-symmetrical appearance.

Looking good, Spleenster! Maybe when you get the face smoothed out you can put some time into his eyes... a nice 3D reflective eyeball will make him look alive. Do a forum search om eyeball, there may be one you can copy/paste but it's really quite simple to make on your own.

Pretty good first effort. I'd advise you to study freely available models to get an idea of spline layout. My input would be the neck area. Typically the neck will be cylindrical (draw a line and lathe it). Then the face is made to fit into that cylinder. You'll need a few spline rings crossing the neck too for better rigging.

Obviously that's a basic explanation but you get the idea..

The ears look great. The side of the head still looks like it has some ridges so I would smooth those out. Also there is a crease on the torso, are they supposed to be chest muscles? Overall good job for a first model!

Thank you!

From the very beginning I intended on putting hair on him. Unless yall think he looks good bald.

I made the stomach and butt wider and I guess that is what caused the crease on chest, I will look at it.

Thanks!

It would be interesting to run a poll to see how often people model to fit a story, versus making the model first and letting the finished model tell them what the story will be.

Music analogy. The other day I heard Manahem Pressler (Pianist of the soon-to-disband Beaux Arts Trio) saying that it's wrong to follow a composer's intentions slavishly. The music itself tells you how it wants to be performed, and that may differ from what the composer had in mind. That's what I've felt for a long time, but I'm nobody. It's nice to hear a Somebody say it.

So, Spleen, is a script developing in your mind? Is this guy an arsonist or ax murderer? Do you identify with him? Should we call the authorities?

It would be interesting to run a poll to see how often people model to fit a story, versus making the model first and letting the finished model tell them what the story will be.

Music analogy. The other day I heard Manahem Pressler (Pianist of the soon-to-disband Beaux Arts Trio) saying that it's wrong to follow a composer's intentions slavishly. The music itself tells you how it wants to be performed, and that may differ from what the composer had in mind. That's what I've felt for a long time, but I'm nobody. It's nice to hear a Somebody say it.

So, Spleen, is a script developing in your mind? Is this guy an arsonist or ax murderer? Do you identify with him? Should we call the authorities?

Lol, yeah he is kinda building himself right now.

No story in mind yet.

• 2 weeks later...