Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WIP female head

Hi All,

I'm currently working on this female head. After working with polygon modeling in 3DS MAX, it's a little difficult getting back to the spline modeling.

I see that I'm getting unwanted creasing and indents on the face, especially around the cheek and near the eye. I've tried to fix the CP's as best I can. I didn't want to use too many CP's making the model more complex than it needs to be.

Any suggestions.

post-1230-1199027035_thumb.jpg

post-1230-1199027042_thumb.jpg

post-1230-1199027050_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing to do is try to keep the spline rings equidistant from the ones surrounding them. If it's too close to one or the other, you can get a crease.

Another thing is to look at the splines from a different vantage point (top or bottom) to see the whole curve of the spline. If you have CPs that are causing a ripple in the curve, that'll cause creasing, too.

These two things have really helped me to make smoother models. I haven't yet reached the point where I feel comfortable with fiddling with the bias handles. :-)

And I really like how skin looks with porcelain applied.

One thing to do is try to keep the spline rings equidistant from the ones surrounding them. If it's too close to one or the other, you can get a crease.

Another thing is to look at the splines from a different vantage point (top or bottom) to see the whole curve of the spline. If you have CPs that are causing a ripple in the curve, that'll cause creasing, too.

These two things have really helped me to make smoother models. I haven't yet reached the point where I feel comfortable with fiddling with the bias handles. :-)

And I really like how skin looks with porcelain applied.

Thanks,

It seems to be working.

You could also try the porcelain material, that you will find in the data folder on the A:M cd.

Would applying any kind of material onto the surface decrease the look of the ripple effect anyway?

Hi Rebecca ... you are doing a nice job in this character ..I looked your model and can indicate some adjustments.

First and most important ... you should never use a single control point as vertex for more than 4 patches ( pic 'A' )... it will cause crease ....

To correct 'A' I suggest corrections in patches, which can be such 'B' ....

I suppose that the alignment of splines is incorrect near the eye, causing the creases( I believe that you modeled as 'C1' and it must be as 'C2' .... Make sure using as a reference pic 'C'

a.jpg

side.jpg

front1.jpg

Thank you so much Xtaz,

My head is looking a little better now.

Here are some samples.

I'm going to use toon shading for this project. I don't think I need to worry about the surface flaws with the toon render.

Does A:M v14 have the ability to mirror the model before you can use the flip/copy/attach( the same way Max uses the Symmetry modifier that allows you to mirror the changes.)

post-1230-1199062005_thumb.jpg

post-1230-1199062014_thumb.jpg

post-1230-1199062024_thumb.jpg