Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Displacement and Toon Render

3DArtZ

Hey guys,

following my tests with displacment for folds in clothing, I discovered that no matter

how I altered my settings I can not avoid getting these little black dots where the displament

map is on the model.

I am thinking that the dots are pixels that are brighter then the surrounding pixels in the

gradient of the blur that I used on the map and the toon renderer is pickign it up as an edge.

is that possible? or is it a compression thing?

I've tried both png(profile stripped after ps save) and tga files.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

here is an image sowing the problem.

dotsA.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This image is reduced in size. Are the black dots on the original render perfect squares or are they smooth? If they are squares it's a render error. I have had such problems in v14 some time ago and I was hoping it was solved by now.

It might be something else tough.

Being about the toonrender, this brings a question I've had, I have a project of a train. I have a smoke particle sprite for the exhaust, but for it to be higher than the train, I have a transparent cylinder emitting the sprites, but when toon rendered, there is an outline around the object, any ideas? As for the dots, I think it's subtle displacements in the modle that disappear in normal render, but in toon, it puts lines there cause it senses a difference in the model

If those areas are considered to be edges maybe a higher resolution displacement map would help, or maybe lower.... Maybe it's worth a try.

Hi Luuk, Ive had the same thought process on that. I've tried up to 300 dpi and down to 30 dpi and they were pretty much the same.

also kept it at 72 dpi and make the image h x w up to triple in size.

I'm about to give up!!!!!

Are the dots lined up with a spline?

Um, I don't know if they are exactly on a spline or not. how could I tell? I have had all sorts of results with dots all over the

place and just a few dots, but there are always dots!

Luuk, you are right in that is removes the dots, as any dot shows up with the color of the surface, making them appear to be not there, but I lose the outline around the body on the group part.

Let me know if you find anything different.

thanks!

Mike

Okay,

here is a the problem in motion.

on the map, white being the hiegest point, and 50 percent black being skin level,

the dots showup in the blur between the 2 colors.

the gradient. anyone have any thoughts how to uniformily smooth this out, as I think

that pixels of brighter color in the way photoshop makes the transition in color is to blame??

about 900kb

http://www.3dartz.com/vids/kickit12a.mov

The only thing I can think of is to find a frame that always shows the dots, note the displacement percentage of the map on that frame, bring the model into a new non-animated chor, set the displacement percentage (in the chor), export the chor as a ply model, import the ply model back into AM and see if the mesh in the imported ply model is doing anything strange. I would guess if the mesh is distorted, then maybe the problem is in the map, but if the mesh looks fine, maybe it is a rendering issue? Just guessing....

Homeslice, you lost me for moment!

I think its the map and by that I mean, either I'm screwing something up

or the gradient tool just isnt able to make a smoothenough transition in that

random pixels that are brighter or darker then the majority of the surrounding pixels

are getting caught in the toon render as an edge.

Is 32 bit the max in photoshop/gimp now a days?(ive tried both)

Homeslice, you lost me for moment!

I think its the map and by that I mean, either I'm screwing something up

or the gradient tool just isnt able to make a smooth enough transition

Sorry about that. Several years ago I discovered that when I exported a model with a displacement map as a ply model, the displacement would get "baked" into the mesh geometry. I used to apply displacement maps, export as ply, import the ply back into AM and save the imported ply as a mdl file. It worked great but that was a long time ago. I don't know if that would work now. In fact, it probably doesn't work that way anymore.