sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Materials on character question

flashawd

I am trying to work on my modeling skills to bring them up a bit and decided to create a red eyes tree frog character and had a couple of questions about the materials I placed on him. First question- is there a way to make where the green and white mix under his mouth "blend" together instead of a perfect line? Second question- is there a way to make the green skin not so perfect - have some of the green bumps smaller and some larger?

Thanks for any help - Eric

frog0003.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would certainly consider using decals for the frog skin, rather than materials.

Materials are nice, but they are not so easy to blend - plus they can push the render times way up.

I would set up the frog in various decal poses - there are several nice tutorials on the web for this - just like texturing a face.

Produce skin maps(decals) using the materials you already have, then use painting techniques, layering bumps etc.to achieve exactly the results you want. That way you can produce just the sort of blending you want, as well as make specularity, bump and other maps.