Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M Painter

flashawd

Hi - I am thinking of buying A:M Painter and wanted to get some imput from anyone that has bought it and uses it. Can you flatten a model or portion of a model and apply a decal within the painter program - or is the flattening done in Animation Master? Any pros and cons of the program - I would appreciate any input. It is an inexpensive program, so I will probably just buy it and try it out. Thank you - Eric

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No thinking required - only buy.

The reason I bought 3DPainter is to avoid the flattening process. I could paint directly on the 3D model. But if you must flatten, I believe you have to do it in A:M then open the flattened model via the 3DPainter plug-in.

You can use 3DPainter to automatically decal an entire model, but it's not the best way to do it. The decal 3DPainter creates is recommended only for projection painting. It's like putting a glass up in front of a view of the model and painting in 2D on the glass. Then that's applied to the model's decal. This works pretty well, but being able to paint in 3D around the model is the really cool part about 3DPainter and painting in 3D requires that the model already have decals.

The best advice I can give is to purchase Will Sutton's Decal and UV Setup CD tutorial (you can get it on his zandoriastudios website). It'll explain exactly how to set up your model to flatten groups and apply a single decal with the UV editor. Then when you take the model into 3DPainter, you can paint in 3D. I was really intimidated by the process until I watched the video and saw how easy it was to do it.

I bought the A:M Painter program - I have version 14 of Animation Master and placed the 3DPainterPlugin_14.hxt file in the "hxt" folder of Animation Master. But when I right click on the modelling window in Animation Master there is not a "3D Painter" option in the pop up menu to open it up directly in AM. I restarted the computer and reopened the program and still no 3D Painter option. Do you know what I am doing wrong? The program opens up and is working fine as a free stading program - so there are no issues there. Thanks - Eric

I bought the A:M Painter program - I have version 14 of Animation Master and placed the 3DPainterPlugin_14.hxt file in the "hxt" folder of Animation Master. But when I right click on the modelling window in Animation Master there is not a "3D Painter" option in the pop up menu to open it up directly in AM. I restarted the computer and reopened the program and still no 3D Painter option. Do you know what I am doing wrong? The program opens up and is working fine as a free stading program - so there are no issues there. Thanks - Eric

Hi Eric,

Did you make sure that this folder is in the list of folders that A:M looks in for HXT plugins? You can verify this by going to 'Options...->Folders->Show Folders for:Extensions (hxt files)'.

Filip

Yes Dhar I have a model in the modeling window. ;) I went to the 'Options...->Folders->Show Folders for:Extensions (hxt files)'.

pixosaur0002.jpg

under "hxt files" it is pointing to Library as you can see in the image - so I put the file 3DPainterPlugin_14.hxt in the libraries folder and it is pulling up fine now

pixosaur0003.jpg

is okay to have in this folder instead of the hxt folder - or should I redirect the hxt files location under "options"

Thanks - Eric

is okay to have in this folder instead of the hxt folder - or should I redirect the hxt files location under "options"

Thanks - Eric

You should point 'Extensions (hxt files)' to the 'c:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v14.0\hxt' folder instead of to the 'c:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v14.0\Libraries' folder (and then of course put the 3DPainter plugin in that folder). That's where all plugins are located (including those that are bundled with A:M).

Filip

Hi Filip - I just changed it - and this time when I clicked on 3D Painter it actually brought the model into the window in 3D Painter, before it would just open up the program, but not bring the model in. I also emailed you this same question, so please ignore the email. Thanks again for your help - Eric