sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Aligning bump maps?

Kelley

I have a stone floor texture. I bring it in as a decal, but it has to be re-sized. I have a high contrast black & white version I want to used as a bump. How do I get them aligned? I've been struggling with them, and they have to be perfectly in sync or it looks like a red/green stereo image, seen without the glasses.

STONE_FLOOR_QUESTION.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simply drag and drop your bumpmap (if the bump and colormap has the same ratio as Paul mentioned) into the image folder on the decal

bump.jpg

I'm having a problem with the "simply" part of the instructions. I've brought the Color and Bump Maps in as Decals. I've gone to Properties and told A:M that the bump is a bump and set a value. At this point, I'm assuming from your instructions that I should be able to drag the Bump from its Image Folder to the Color Image Folder. But A:M won't allow it. It get a red 'Prohibited' circle under the cursor, and a "bing!' chime as I attempt to insert the bump into the new folder. Should I be pulling the Bump Map from a different place? I tried opening both the textures Folder in My Documents and dragging the Bump over to the PWS. But that didn't even get me a red circle and chime. Just nothing. Where am I missing it? Thanks.

STONE_FLOOR_QUESTION_02.jpg

drag the image from the main Image folder (on the top of A:M's pws) and onto the decal image folder. You can set the Type of image and other attributes within the decal image folder

Or right-click on the decal-imagefolder, say "new image", browse it and set the at its attributes (at the decal-imagefolder) "bump" or "displacement".

Part of the confusion is the fact that you made two decals, one for the floor map and one for the bump map. Delete the bump map decal and then drag the floor bump map from the main images folder to the floor decal images folder. There it will default to a color map. Now click on the map you just dragged into the decal images folder and change the default "Type" to bump in the properties pane.

bump.jpg

"Part of the confusion is the fact that you made two decals, one for the floor map and one for the bump map...."

There it is! You have hit the nail on the head. My mindset is from the bad old Polygon days. All my previous experience has been that two maps were needed, the bump being greyscale and labeled as a bump.

Thank you all for the assist.