Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

X-Wing WIP

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestions:

Make the engines slightly larger.

Make the back section a little less bulky.

xwing.jpg

Are you using a rotoscope? There's probably one somewhere floating around on the internet.

----------

Found one for ya:

xwingblueprintyt2.jpg

Okay here it is; Version 2.

I made the back less blocky, added some more textures painted in photoshop, and started work on the canopy. I still have to make the engines more to scale. Next i plan to add more textures and more detail to the back of the ship.

post-7934-1178154611_thumb.jpg

Looking a lot better. Are you using the image as a rotoscope? That's a surefire way to make it look just like it.

The splines underneath the rear of the cockpit look a little odd. Can you show a wireframe so I can see what's going on?

Does anyone know how to do cylindrical applications? I just tried it on the engine and all it made was a small strip down the length of the cylinder. I had to use Planer applications to get this:

post-7957-1178160306_thumb.jpg

You can see where it messes up around the sides.

--------

Nevermind. I had to center the engine about the Y axis.

post-7957-1178161122_thumb.jpg

Here is a project that i have been working on for a couple of days. I made it in A:M and surfaced it in photoshop. I will be posting updates as i complete it. Any comments or criticisms would be appreciated.

Are you making this for a project to use or just for practice?

The reason I ask is because there's an excellent X-Wing model in the donated models section on the hash site. I used it for the project I worked on for my brother-in-law and his friend. Check it out.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=a...st&id=21470

If you are just doing it as practice, then you're doing a great job so far!!!

George

Matt: Here is the shaded wire frame of the back of the cockpit.

Jetman: I am making it both for practice and eventually as a project with my friend. Thanks for the link though.

Darkwing: Do you mean the detail in the back? No i havent done anything there yet.

Also as a general question, is there anyway to use flatten to unwrap a cylindrical object? I am trying to figure the best way to paint the textures for the lazer cannons.

post-7934-1178238849_thumb.jpg

Matt, is there a thread around here or tutorial that describes how to get started with displacement mapping?

There are all sorts of threads devoted to displacement mapping. Just search Displacement on the forum. Any time you use a bump map, you can switch it to a displacement map by simply changing the decal type. It's that easy. So if you make a working bump map, that will work as a displacement map.

Did you model all the detail on the engine?

All of the details you can see are displacement maps. The model itself is only 400 patches. I could have gotten away with 200, but I wanted the splines to be a lot smoother. Had I modeled it by hand it would have been several thousand patches.

Also as a general question, is there anyway to use flatten to unwrap a cylindrical object? I am trying to figure the best way to paint the textures for the lazer cannons.

Move the model until the laser cannon is positioned at the origin and it is rotating around the Y axis. Select your decal and set the application method to Cylindrical, and aply it to the section you want to decal. When you apply the decal it will automatically set 3 repeats on the Y. This is to make the decal wrap all of the image around the entire Y axis. After you get your decals done, you can move it back to it's original position. I'm pretty sure you can do this in the action window, but I have not experimented with that.

The three splines running just behind the cockpit need some tweaking. It's too wavy and looks more organic than mechanical. You might want to go with peaked splines in that area.

Here is a project that i have been working on for a couple of days. I made it in A:M and surfaced it in photoshop. I will be posting updates as i complete it. Any comments or criticisms would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is because there's an excellent X-Wing model in the donated models section on the hash site. I used it for the project I worked on for my brother-in-law and his friend. Check it out.

George

Jeetman,

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me where the donated models section is? I would really like to get my hands on that X-Wing.

Nicely done video, btw :)

George

Jeetman,

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me where the donated models section is? I would really like to get my hands on that X-Wing.

I got it a while ago on the original site. The set up was different then in that you could download from different model catagories but this all in one should have the X-Wing model on it. I couldn't find the name of the person who made it unfortunately otherwise I WOULD have given credit where credit was due.

Here's the link to the extra's CD. You can download a zip here http://www.hash.com/freemodels/

George

Jeetman,

I got it a while ago on the original site. The set up was different then in that you could download from different model catagories but this all in one should have the X-Wing model on it. I couldn't find the name of the person who made it unfortunately otherwise I WOULD have given credit where credit was due.

Here's the link to the extra's CD. You can download a zip here http://www.hash.com/freemodels/

Hey Jeetman,

Thanks for the help, but the X-Wing isn't in the zip file. That's the extras CD that came with the Yeti CD (2005?). Would it be possible to get the model to me directly?