Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Chick With hair and ao

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a very good start dborruso! i am not very good at hair, but i have only two crits: 1) i dont like the big hump on the head (what is that btw), and 2) i think the beak needs to be pointed more upwards instead of being pointed down so much. do you know what i mean? anyways good job!!!!!

Chic with hair...

You are evil and mean teasing like that.

;)

p.s. Strangest looking... chic... ever. But kind of cute. His hair seems too... "hard"... either not feathery enough or not fuzzy enough. Depends on what effect you are after. Good start.

-vern

Update. I pointed up the beak a little like tanman said. I think it looks better. I darkened the ground. I think it might look better if I just make it grey though. I'll try out different colors. Now I'll try to get the hair fuzzy. Be back with updates later.

post-1974-1177434289_thumb.jpg

I might rig him up and do a little something with him. I won't be using ao for an animation render with hair though. I turned down the ambient value on this last render anyway so it didn't make as much difference as a 2 and a half hour render should take anyway. I'd like to do a little more refinement to the hair too. Someone suggested I give him arms. That might be funny. I'm thinking about it. I have a hard time rigging without tsm these days. I need to learn to use and modify the squetch rig.

A few thoughts (warning, these will kill your render time... ;) )

1) If you want to use dynamics, create a longer hair (you need at least 1cm of hair per control point). I use about 4cm, with 3 control points. Then move to your hair emitter properties and give it a length percentage of say, 25%. You now have 1cm long hair that is semi-dynamic. (Semi, because it only somewhat follows the control points. You'll have to play with this to see what I mean.

2) Transparency. Just as you adjust the hair width over length, make the tips transparent. It sells the "soft" look BIG time. (And hits your render time just as hard... ;) ) I usually set it to 0% at 0, 0% at 90, and 100% at 100.