Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Jupiter 2 - From the classic TV series

One of my all time favourite TV shows when I was a kid was 'Lost In Space'. Loved Robert Kinoshita's design of the Jupiter 2, the spacecraft that was to get the Robinson family to Alpha Centauri.

So here is my attempt to model the Jupiter 2 spacecraft.

jupiter2_0.jpg Head on view

jupiter2a_0.jpg Top view showing NGS locations

jupiter2b_0.jpg Lower view showing fusion core

flightdeck0.jpg View of flight deck

Animation showing the fusion core and EVA hatch opening and closing.

jupiter2_.mov

C&C always welcome...

Al

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

That is excellent!!!! I started modeling this. I have all the specs for it too but time and lack of ability has prevented me from making it. I do have a robot model started. I'll see if I can finish that up and when your Jupiter 2 is done we can put the robot in it.

REALLY OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!

I loved watching Lost in Space when I was a kid and still do today at 43 hehe

George

Thanks for the kind words folks.

It would be fun to do the whole wobbly flying through space as the Jupiter 2 tries to avoid a missile or a meteor storm.

Love to see what you have done with your robot model George. After I was done with the Jupiter 2, I was going to do a robot as well as try a Dr. Smith.

Quick update:

I reworked the front view port as well as re-located the hatch a bit to line up better with the interior wall bracing.

jupiter2b_0.jpg

Also, am working on roughing in the interior parts. Colors need to be adjusted (a lot) and a whole lot of detailing needed. Just got access to season 2 of Lost In Space, so that will help out a lot with color and details.

jupiter2c_0.jpg

Thanks...

Al

Awesome stuff Al! You've really captured the style perfectly! Keep it up, I can't wait to see the rest :D

Lee

Outstanding :-o

I loved Lost in Space .. although, when I looked back at the DVD release I could never understand how Smith went from Mr. Evil in the first episodes to Mr. Wimp in season 2.

Keep up the excellent work ... I might have a go at Land of the Giants ... I'd only need to use the 'scale' function ;-)

I loved Lost in Space .. although, when I looked back at the DVD release I could never understand how Smith went from Mr. Evil in the first episodes to Mr. Wimp in season 2.

Keep up the excellent work ... I might have a go at Land of the Giants ... I'd only need to use the 'scale' function ;-)

In the Lost In Space Technical Manual, they tried to explain the changes in Dr. Smith. It had to do with the reasons the family were put into suspended animation prior to launch. The full power lift off as required by the Jupiter 2 when it launched from Earth, would cause serious mental problems to anyone who was not protected in the 'freezing tubes'. Since Dr. Smith was just strapped into a launch couch, his unprotected brain was affected by the engines, which then slowly caused his personality to change. Apparently, the Jupiter 2 was never used for a 'full power' lift off after that as the family never used the freezing tubes for space travel again.

In reality though, Jonathan Harris realized that a character as sinister as Dr. Smith was, would have only a short lived time in the series, so he slowly changed his personna. The writers then in turn started writing for his changed part. That, and competing against the new TV series Batman, the producers decided the show should be a bit more humorous and not as serious as in the first season.

Personally, I preferred the first season over the other two. Never could figure out where the Space Pod came from in the third season, and definitely missed the cliff hanger endings in season three.

Just watched the first episode of the Land of the Giants a couple of days ago. Funny how when I watch it now, I can appreciate how Irwin Allen re-used just about everything from series to series. Music by John Williams, sound effects, set pieces, lots of stuff. Would really like to see the Spindrift modelled. Hope you do give it a go...

Al

Well this is a blast from the past if I ever saw one!

I love used to love this show and spent hours making platicine models of the Jupiter 2. The bit I loved the most was when the door opened and the foot plank came out (or did it?).

Nice model m8, didn't realise there was a technical manual and all that sort of reference out there.

Was the Jupiter 2 knicked from The Forbidden Planet?

Was the Jupiter 2 knicked from The Forbidden Planet?

Nope. Although Robert Kinoshita did design Planet Cruiser C57-D from Forbidden Planet as well as worked on the design for the Jupiter 2 and the Robot.

Quick Update:

Started working on the Flight Consoles. This is the start of the center console. I am going to model the interior from Season 2 working from photos of the original sets as well as captures from the TV series.

flightconsoles0.jpg

Here is a quick animation of the console at work. Still trying to get the lights to blink properly though...

flightconsoles.mov

To be continued...

Thanks...

Al

"Lost In Space" was my FAVORITE TV show when I was 8 years old. It was SO SCARY! Dr. Smith was so conniving! Oooh. I can't watch the reruns because it damages my childhood memories, but watching you create the Jupiter 2 in A:M is like a dream come true. Thanks, Al.

Thanks Martin. Watching the series now does kind of spoil the childhood memories. Somehow, a giant talking carrot doesn't hold up over time as well as it should... :D

Once the interior is finished, I would like to donate it to the next Extras CD/DVD, if that is okay.

Al

A "real-world" model builder scratch-built a Jupiter 2. Here are some photos. Maybe they can help you as reference material. You might also contact the builder should you want to seek or share some insight as you progress on yours.

exterior:

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/comm/j2001.jpg

interior:

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/comm/j2002.jpg