Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Combining 30 Targa Image Sequence into 1 Image

Rodney

• Admin

Heres a newbie question.

I'm looking for a simple way to combine sequences of targa images into a single image in A:M.

I realize I can create something manually but that is problematic especially when the variables change (say I need to combine 50 sequential images the next time, 20 the next... whatever).

I thought maybe a subframe technique might work but I'm not sure exactly how to do that with images.

Each image needs to be full strength... not blurred.

The image sequence have characters/objects isolated by alpha channels.

Each image in the sequence is unique.

This must be really easy because I can't think of how to do it.

Did I overlook some orthographic rotoscope method that can smash images together?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rodney

Edit: I'm living without Coreldraw for the moment. Thus the desired in-A:M solution.

I thought A:M's compositor or several other approaches might work but even if able to select a group of images only the first one gets imported.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
1. drop each of the thirty tga's into the images folder so you have 30 separate images

2. open up a chor and turn off the ground

3. drop each of the tgas on to the camera as rotoscopes (the last rotoscope will be on top of the composite).

Thanks Bruce.

Its looking like that is as automated as I'm going to get.

While that would work well for one project I need to find something that will work repeatedly and as instantaneously as possible.

Using the technique you describe I suppose I could set up and save some cameras that have the ideal settings.

Point the Rotoscope to the images in a particular folder.

Then replace those images as needed.

I do like this technique as it allows for easy movement of image elements in order within A:M.

Thats also an important consideration... moving these images around as the need arises.

Hmmm... Is there anywhere in A:M where we can import multiple images at the same time?

Decal images perhaps? (Edit: Nope)

I probably should try v14 before I get to bogged down here.

v14 has some amazing additions... which gives me an idea.

I'd be glad to hear other options or things people think might work.

In Coreldraw I'd open the multiple alpha'd images and they would all automatically overlay each other.

I brought my Coreldraw installation CDs with me but... forgot to bring my serial number. Gah!

Maybe its time to upgrade to Corel X3?

Nah... I'd rather do it in A:M if I can.

Rodney

One way that you could do this, if I understand correctly, is to use a single folder for storing any images that you want in your composite. Use "rename" or another program to rename all the images to something sequential like, "image_001 - image_xxx", where"xxx" is the total number of images.

Import all the images in one hit and lay them out in a choreography as layers, or as decaled patches.

Next time that you want to composite a new set of images just batch rename them and drop them into the image folder overwriting the old images with new images of the same name. When you open the project, or just render, the new images should appear in place of the old ones. You'll probably still have to rearrange the layers/patches but the rest is pretty automated. In fact you could create a series of choreographies for various layouts.

• Admin

Caroline,

Onionskin doesn't appear to work with images.

I thought they did but I'm having trouble with realtime display so... can't confirm.

I'll test it again.

It's got an expression - Image.Frame = GetTime() because onion skin needs keyframes.

Ah! Thats the trick. Thanks for the reminder!

Bruce,

I haven't explained myself very well I'm afraid.

You are very close to the solution though.

If we could drag and drop more than one image into a decal/rotoscope etc. this would be fast.

Unfortunately it looks like only the first one gets added.

In v14 we can drop multiple models into the Chor at the same time and replace them simultaneously.

This is really an amazing way to populate a scene, build a model and change elements.

Working with Layers doesn't quite work the same way though.

The camera rotoscope is really close to being a solution... very close.

I'll try a few more options. I've tried so many I've forgotten which ones I still need to try.

Paul,

Yours may be the way I have to go until something else gives.

A little work on the front end but lots of quick compostiting on the back end.

Not ideal but we can definitely crunch a lot of images quickly that way.

I'm off to try rotoscopes within models...

The rabbit was a rendered tga sequence from rabbit walk. So my images work.

Imported as an image sequence into a new project, then dropped on the chor as a layer, with the expression attached.

But I don't know if shaded quality produces a good enough image quality.

• Admin

Thanks Caroline.

I imagine the quality of Onion skin will be too low but many thanks for cluing me into the expression/keyframe trick.

I'll sleep on this and see if I can't dream up a solution.

I downloaded the trial copy of Corel X3 and satisfied today's requirement.

It's a 15 day trial if anyone is interested. Fully functional.

An A:M solution has to beat about 1 minute to be considered quicker.

If it takes a little longer thats fine too as that time can easily be regained by having everything inside A:M.

The two programs it seems I can't live without are A:M and Corel.

My daughter stepped on Corel Disk 1 and broke it so it doesn't install so well. ;)

My earlier version I have with me... once I track down the serial number and I'll be back in business.