Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What image file formats can be used for decal?

chris11jed

Hello all,

Just wondering if there is a list of usable image file formats that can be used for decals. I know '.jpeg' can be used, however after modifying an image in adobe photoshop and then applying it to my model as a decal, nothing showed up. Sorry I can't say what file format it was, I'd scrapped it and used a .jpeg instead. However after a while I started to wonder. So does anyone have a list? Also more to the point can I use a .gif or .png image file without changing settings in decal?

Happy animating!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply, nice work!

I am trying to put a map of the world on a sphere that has the oceans transparent and the land mass black. Photoshop allows me to save a transparent background which helps and it saves as .png but not so with .jpeg, so I'll give it a go.

One more question; I want to make the black land mass (from seeing it through the sphere/planet) change color, to blue as the planet spins. Is this possible on the one sphere or would i extrude another one outside/inside the original and decal the same map of the world (now with blue colored land mass) on the outside/inside? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and there's a complete other way to do such a thing?

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply, nice work!

I am trying to put a map of the world on a sphere that has the oceans transparent and the land mass black. Photoshop allows me to save a transparent background which helps and it saves as .png but not so with .jpeg, so I'll give it a go.

One more question; I want to make the black land mass (from seeing it through the sphere/planet) change color, to blue as the planet spins. Is this possible on the one sphere or would i extrude another one outside/inside the original and decal the same map of the world (now with blue colored land mass) on the outside/inside? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and there's a complete other way to do such a thing?

I made an example of how one could approach this...

Niels

Project1.zip

example.mov

I've always been a big Targa fan. I use it for everything--decals, rendering out to, etc. It's lossless and can carry an alpha channel. Plays well with video, too. The only problem I ever had was back when Adobe Photoshop 7 first came out--it had a problem with the alpha channel (they provided a patch to fix it, but it's something to look out for if you have that version of PS).

Cheers, and good luck!