sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Feedback

Rodney

• Admin

In any endeavor we seek feedback.

We look at things from a variety of angles.

We poke and prod at ideas. We test new theories. We plan for success.

We hope for feedback. And when we get no feedback... that's feedback!

Discovery is at the heart of the learning process.

Feedback helps us discover what works.

As an artist, animator or storyteller recognize how feedback is essential to success.

Look for opportities to provide feedback and encourage others in their endeavors.

You'll be glad you did.

Best,

Rodney

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the first to leave you some feedback, Rodney :lol:

I've looked at posts like David Higgins' baby and Michael Fortunato's TaoA:M, thinking I don't have the qualifications to be able to comment on those, I'll leave the comments to people who REALLY know - all I'd be able to say is "wow, fabulous, looks good to me", but I guess if it looks good it IS good, and if it looks wonky, then it IS wonky, so maybe I do have the qualifications after all.

• Admin

I hear ya Caroline,

I understand what you are saying and context should always be considered.

Getting responses of a 'very cool' or 'me too' nature is not so much feedback as it is acknowledgement.

If a post has one acknowledgement then it may be best to leave it alone. Not always though.

If you want to provide feedback and the only think you are inspired to say is 'cool'... that'll have to do.

Some people successfully provide feedback even in these cases by acknowledging they don't have the answer and then commenting anyway. They may not provide the answer but through furthering the discussion the question is explored.

New insight may be gained and the question refined. This should hopefully make it easier for those who REALLY know to respond.

- Some people don't want feedback. I would say this is rare here in the forum though.

- Some want only certain kinds of feedback. Its not always easy to tell what kind they prefer unless they state it.

- Some want feedback from only certain people, exerience levels or perspectives. The burden is on the poster to specify or they'll get anyone and everyone responding.

- Some people may simply want to inform.

(A good example of this might be when someone posts a link and nothing more. Sure would like to know a little about that link before I click it though) There is however an indicative with these posts that states "No feedback required".

- Projects like TWO or TaoA:M have a general 'open invitation' for feedback.

(It doesn't hurt to remind people you are seeking feedback from time to time however)

When in doubt its always a good idea to put in your post what you want. (sounds simple doesn't it?)

"All feedback welcome!" or something similar generally will work.

Any post that ends in a question should clue everyone in that feedback is desired.

(Its usually best to keep questions related to each other or stick to one idea per post though)

Bottom line is if we wait until someone that REALLY knows the answer it may take a while.

Everyone would like that guy or gal who really knows the answer to respond right?

In many cases they may just not know they are sitting on the right answer until they read it right.

Discussions through feedback help that process along.

Don't forget that there is often more than one answer too!

Feedback is all about discussion, discovery and sharing experiences.

Its not about right answers. GOOD feedback will by its very nature provide GOOD answers though.

Getting right answers relies more on asking the right questions.

Asking the right questions... now that is a topic for another day. :P

There are a couple of things to consider regarding feedback. Never be afraid of giving feedback regardless of what you think your qualifications are or how good/bad you think what you are looking at is (as long as it is a critique rather than a 'judgement'). No-one is perfect and although many of us look for acknowledgement, most of the time we have been starring at the item we are displaying for hours on end and have lost a certain level of perspective so seek third party eyes to pick out things that we have missed.

The other side of the coin is that it can open up discussion on methods, best practises etc.....

Cheers