sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Alien Landing

He has finally reached planet Bear? And being a brave soul decides to go exploring…

However, the background seems to fuzz for the first three quarters of the flick but not the rest.

I have a horrid feeling this is going to be a pain when going to final render.

Ideas anyone?

Do I need to use Multi-Pass on this one?

Spaceship Landing

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look, but I feel like the timing could use help. it would be nice if the space ship sat for 1/2 a second before the elevator happens, then another 1/2 second before the door opens.

I like that some the background falls out of focus, it feels more real.

He has finally reached planet Bear? And being a brave soul decides to go exploring…

However, the background seems to fuzz for the first three quarters of the flick but not the rest.

I have a horrid feeling this is going to be a pain when going to final render.

Ideas anyone?

Do I need to use Multi-Pass on this one?

Spaceship Landing

I'm not entirely sure what is causing the noisy background; but it appears that whilst the background (read : camera) is moving, the background "fuzzes" or become all crawling with tiny dots of noise. (Did you render directly to a compressed format like quicktime or Avi?)

I also suspect that whatever texture you are using is too finely-grained, and might benefit from a little blur to soften the "crawly" effect. It could just be poorly anti-aliased bits of texture due to lower resolution. Try scaling up the roughness or whatever texture you are using and see if that helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

frosteternal

I'm not entirely sure what is causing the noisy background; but it appears that whilst the background (read : camera) is moving, the background "fuzzes" or become all crawling with tiny dots of noise. (Did you render directly to a compressed format like quicktime or Avi?)
Yes, I noticed that too. I have checked the f-curves of the camera and they seem fine. It is only when the camera id totally still that the fuzz stops.

I have done a test uusing Multi-Pass at 4 X 4 (16 Passes) and that seems to reduce the fuzz but not totally. I am going to have to ask Hash Support on this one since this scene will be used quite alot in the film.

I also suspect that whatever texture you are using is too finely-grained, and might benefit from a little blur to soften the "crawly" effect. It could just be poorly anti-aliased bits of texture due to lower resolution. Try scaling up the roughness or whatever texture you are using and see if that helps.

I will try this later - hope it helps!

nf1nk

I like the look, but I feel like the timing could use help. it would be nice if the space ship sat for 1/2 a second before the elevator happens, then another 1/2 second before the door opens.

I agree. I have incorporated your suggestion. In fact the reason that the flick is a little too quite is because I have noticed an anomally when rendering out to a shaded mode QT movie which I use when previewing. It seemed to output everything at 15 fps rather than 30fps which I was expecting. So in the final render everything was a bit quick.

New render coming later…

Done the alterations to the animation and re-rendered it using Multi-Pass 4x4 - still got the flickers I will definately have to ask Hash HQ about this one.

I rendered part of the animation on my iMac, only the last part. See if you can notice the Mac rendered bit (I'll give you a clue 'Spots'). I definately will not be using my Mac to do any more rendering…

Spaceship Landing Again

That was pretty cool! I liked the little step-back he took when the doors opened. :-)

I'm still new to this, so I'm not seeing the difference you're talking about with the iMac render. What specifically doesn't work on the Mac render? (I'm on a Mac and won't have any other option but to use it to render.)

largento

Glad you liked my flick but I fear I miss-worded my comments on rendering on my iMac. The Mac renders fine it's just slower.

What I did to speed my rendering up was to render a few frames on my iMac and merge them with those rendered on my PC. I was hoping that it would be A-OK but I noticed an anomally. If you look closely at the spots on the alien as he walks away from the spaceship they change…

That's why I won't be using my Mac and my PC to render the same scenes. However, I am now very tempted to try Boot Camp because it will run faster and hopefully work with Net Render.

largento

Glad you liked my flick but I fear I miss-worded my comments on rendering on my iMac. The Mac renders fine it's just slower.

What I did to speed my rendering up was to render a few frames on my iMac and merge them with those rendered on my PC. I was hoping that it would be A-OK but I noticed an anomally. If you look closely at the spots on the alien as he walks away from the spaceship they change…

That's why I won't be using my Mac and my PC to render the same scenes. However, I am now very tempted to try Boot Camp because it will run faster and hopefully work with Net Render.

*whew!* :-)

Now that you point it out, I can see a place where it looks like the spots jump. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, though.