sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

transfer data between systems

ldgilman

I need to transfer a project from my desktop to my laptop and visa versa and I am having no success. I am running v 12 on both. I transfer the A:M CD between systems. I have tried doing a search and get a zillion possibilities, and don't have time to search all of them and I am sure this is being done all the time.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do this all the time without any problems.

You could set up a home network but I think you are looking for a quicker solution so let's just consider using CDs or Memory Sticks:

Start with a sensible structure to your file hierarchy.

I have a folder called, "Projects", which contains many project folders. Each project folder contains most of the files that are neccessary to run that project. My individual Project Folders contain folders for: Models, Maps, Actions, Choreographies, Materials, Renders and Sounds and, of corse, they hold the project files themselves. I try to keep it all together so that all I have to do is copy the individual Project folder. It can then be run from another computer and the file paths will still be valid.

It makes archiving easy too!

But you probably knew all that already so let us know what isn't working. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :D

I do have a home network, A:M is installed on only one workstation.

I have my Dell Inspiron 8600 that I take back and forth to work when I have the time. My home desktop has 3 hard drives. A:M data files are not on the C drive, only the program files are on the C drive.

Right now my projects are either super simple or I am taking apart a freebee to see what makes it tick.

I can use my USB thumb drive if I need to. I would rather not work the files remotely (desktop has A:M to laptop has data file(s)) as I don't use my laptop much any more.

It is sounding like A:M needs to see the same paths after a project is created?? If that be the case do I have an Export / Import option ?? From what I have read earlier, I am under the impression Import/Export is not used for movin A:M between workstations. I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to have to restructure my desktop to match my laptop to make this work.

When all is said and done it is getting to look like creating is best done on one device, be it a laptop or desktop.

You can use the Consolidate option that will copy in a brand new folder almost everything needed for your project, including maps, models, materials, etc.. It will mimic your directory structure though, which can be good or bad depending on the situation.

I say "almost" because if you use TGA sequences as maps or rotoscope, it will copy only the first frame of it I think, so you have to manually copy the others in the right folder. Otherwise it works very nicely, even if I'd wish more option in the process.

Consolidate: Consolidates the project into a single directory structure.

It's in the top Project Menu >>> Consolidate

Just select it, give it the location of the folder you want your stuff to be saved in. Thats sums it up.