Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New computers, new problems

Ravager

i just downloaded A:M and the files i was working on and everything's working great, somewhat. when i'm in model mode and i have the bone mode shaded and wireframe, everything's wrong. when the bones flash, the CPs don't flash, they just look like black dots, even though i try to do color matching with the bones to help myself out, i'm still having a very hard time( because some of the bones have the same colors! and i can't make them all different colors!)

and when i'm in action mode, if i move,rotate or even rotate the camera view of the bone, all of the bones turn into a solid black color, and are no longer transparent, and if there is a bone in front of that certian bone when this hapens, it blocks the view, and this can be a HUGE problem when you have a lot of bones.

i NEED help, and i don't want to go back to the old computer or everything goes back to taking an hour to render, move CPs, you name it

so please, HELP :(

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

The black dots are indicative of a video card problem.

In some cases a trip to your card manufacturer's website will provide the update you need. In other cases you may find switching back and forth from Direct3D to Open GL (or vice versa) may help.

Others may be able to confirm your troubles here once you let us know what video card you are using.

• Admin
do you know what vid. card would work for it and fix the problem?

I'd be lying if I said I did so I'll default to those who know better.

If you do a search here in the forum using your video card as the text I think you'll find some good information on the subject.

Video cards seem to be cyclic in that some manufacturers take shortcuts to keep costs down for themselves and consumers. Cards that don't meet the higher standards might be sold as SE, LE or other cheaper versions.

A:M needs a good video card and a lot of the Limited Editions simply won't play well with graphics intensive programs such as A:M.

Experts?

P.S. Here's one set of posts on the subject of NVidia:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23521

It looks like an older driver was the workaround for some:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22267

Actually, I had a bit of a black-dot problem appear on both of my Windows machines when I updated to one of the later v12 releases. I had no change in video card or drivers, but if I'm in shaded wireframe mode, sometimes the dots are black and I can't tell what I've selected. It's not real consistent, but I'll have the problem typically if I've shifted to a direct view (like press a keypad number). No problems in wireframe mode. While the problem could definitely be driver issues, nonetheless, it appeared between revisions of A:M.

Cool... I see that the special item stuff works on the forum now. Someone staying busy over Christmas? Or did Safari just get some brains?

Check to see how many functions are supported on your graphics card by going to the options and click on the open_GL tab. I am using a NVDIA FX/5500/SSE2 card and everything works fine. There are only three finctions supported which are:GL_KTX_buffer_region,WGL_ARB_pbuffer, and WGL_ARB_pixel_format. Of couse you should also make sure the current drivers are installed. A new computer doesn't nessarly mean the drivers are upto date.

• Developer

I think it's a driver issue in the nvidia consumer cards , but doesn't occur on all gpu types, with a older driver (77.77) this issue doesn't occurs on some gpu's .

But for your card I think this doesn't help, because they is not supportet from this old driver .

The nvidia quadro based card's are also not affectet from this issue (they have other drivers than the consumer cards).

In my little machine park I have some different graphic cards,with which I tested that

nvidia 5700XT (with the new drivers issue occurs, with driver revision 77.77 not)

nvidia 6800XT (with the new drivers issue occurs, with driver revision 77.77 not)

nvidia quadro FX1500 not affectet (driver revision 91.36)

ati X1950XT not affectet