Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Unwanted creases...

Tralfaz

I am working on the legs of a person, and I have this unwanted crease that I just can't seem to get rid of. I have tried deleting CPs and re-connecting them. It will get rid of the crease in one direction, but then the crease will appear in a different direction. For instance, If I get rid of the vertical crease, it will appear horizontally and vice versa.

I have attached a shaded view, shaded wire view and a close-up shaded wire view of the problem area.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=22630] [attachmentid=22629]

[attachmentid=22631]

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

leg3.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks to me like you have a spline that has been peaked or does not extend it's bias and magnetude in both directions. Tear that sucker apart and make sure that when you rebuild that particular piece of geometry that you make sure the splineage is pure... meaning when you click on that CP... it should show 2 control handles coming of both sides of the spline...if there is only one than the beziers 'perfect math' is being compromised, thus the creases.

I agree with Matt, there does look like a peaked spline is in there. I would get rid of one of the knee spline rings, space them apart more, move the thigh spline ring to the middle of the thigh, reduce the number of splines that run vertically (minimum four, six or eight would be better than what you've got presently), get rid of the lowest crotch spline, add a ring toward the top of the thigh and probably re-work the ankle...I would at least add one more spline ring at the ankle, but I would probably make the foot of the boot flow better into the upper part as well.

Less is better...usually. Only use the amount of splineage that is necessary to get what you want.

Hope that helps, Al.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

I was hoping to be able to bring in a model that I already had from Anim8or and just clean it up. I had already cut down on a lot of the polies in Anim8or before exporting to a .obj and then importing into A:M. Not quite as easy as I had hoped...

I will take a look at this tonight when I get home from work.

Al

Had time this evening to try some of the suggestions. The leg is looking a whole lot better now.

As suggested, I added the 5 point patches, reduced the number of splines overall in the leg and removed a ring around the knee. I will do final tweaking and fitting of all the parts of the character after they are brought into A:M from Anim8or.

Thanks once again for all your help...

Al

[attachmentid=22647] [attachmentid=22648]

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg