Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Stange artifact on decal

Duke

Hi all.

I'm busy making a hoverboard for a project I'm doing. I applied a decal onto the top section of the board and gave it a quick render to see what it would look like. its far from finished but I wanted to see what the wood would look like.

these strange markings have come up on the render is there someone that knows what could cause this.

no matter what render settings or lighting, it appears everytime.

[attachmentid=20916]

Leo

post-9079-1159275214_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dhar

Here's a wireframe, I'm experiencing all kinds of wierd things with V13j

I wonder if this is not a problem with it, when I make a new component for the hoverboard, i.e the motor that I'm doing now, I can't lasso the motor part, it wont select..

[attachmentid=20924]

hope this makes sense.

Leo

Hi,

That hover board is casting an unusual looking shadow. Are you using Transparency or a CookieCutter texture map?

-Jim

Jim

I simply applied the decal as a planar, put the wood on the top and an aluminum on the bottom. also noticed the shadow.

Leo

post-9079-1159281530_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Duke,

While its hard to tell as the image doesn't zoom in close enough it looks like you've got some illegal patches in there. That the areas where this appears to be the case also seems to be where the artifacts are present seems to indicate the problem.

Can you post an extreme close up (in shaded wireframe) of the areas in question?

If you can post the model (or part of it) even better yet.

Maybe your normals are pointed the wrong way. Are you using porcelain? Can you post the model or try it in a new project/chor. It's quite nice weathering going on there...whatever the reason.

PS Did you extrude the shape?

I have noticed intermittent funnies with 13j - in particular with rotoscopes & front projection mapping - different from what you're doing - but may be related because:

if I look at your example - it looks like the black artifacts on the skateboard have moved - indicating that the mapping has changed based on view angle -

My results would vary randomly - never knew when it would happen - As soon as I got rid of the camera rotoscope being front projected on the ground plane (camera was at an extreme angle with respect to ground) - my random cases of really horrific artifacts went away.

I haven't yet sent my example in to AMreports - as I was trying to get a simple case.

Hi Rodney

All I can get right at this stage is a screen capture. (or if someone can tell me how to render a wireframe)

heres as close as I can get: here's model as well. hopefully someone will see what the problem is.

[attachmentid=20927]

KenH

I did use porcelain, and thanx to your post I remembered that I forgot to flip the normals :huh:

although it didn't change much. I kinda like that weathered effect as well, but I have no idea how it happened.

I traced out the shape of the board in topview and then extruded it downward.

Nancy

as for the skateboard thing, don't worry about it, :) (its not finished yet, I still gotta put the rockets on and some other stuff.)

as far as I can tell there is no reflectivity set on the board.

Leo

post-9079-1159292917_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Thanx for your help and input, I have managed to sort things out.

I found a few problems:

1: I applied porcelain and somehow forgot to flip the normals, thanx KenH for reminding me. (something I knew had to be done) :blink:

2: I found some problems with the splines.

3: The main reason for the artifacts that were appearing were, I had added an aluminium material in the whole body of the board and added the wood grain as a decal, somehow the aluminium caused the bumps and cracks.

or at least that is what I think it was. to fix this I removed all of the materials and decals and started over. that seemed to fix it.

Here is the end result. if there are any comments, I'd like to hear them.

[attachmentid=20944]

post-9079-1159364176_thumb.jpg

Thanx Jim.

I am still going to do a little more with it. wanna get some flames out the rockets as well as the hover ring thingy's at the bottom, but I fixed things as I went on.

must say, there's nothing that will teach you better than to struggle with it and figure it out. learned much about materials and decals with this one.

thanx again for your comments. :D

Leo

Thanx UNGLAUBLICHUSA

Frustrating it was, but like I said earlier, there's nothing like battling your ass of with something and getting it right in the end. :lol:

Dhar, for the compliment, I will definitely let you see it fly, as soon as I'm done I'll post a preview.

Leo