Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New user needs help bad. (Exercise 6)

I know Exercise 6 is suposed to be an exam but I realy need help. First off I some how accidentaly erased it off of the AM disk. Is there any way I can get it from some where? The problem I was having is that I cant seem to keep one foot on the ground while he puts one foot on the door. If I animate his right foot to go up lets say between frames oo.oo.oo - oo.oo.15 and I then do his left from 00.00.15 - 00.01.00 they both go up around the same time. Could some one explain this to me step by step? Something about constraints or key frames. I need detail on this one friends. This one has got me stumped. thanx

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

If I animate his right foot to go up lets say between frames oo.oo.oo - oo.oo.15 and I then do his left from 00.00.15 - 00.01.00 they both go up around the same time.

aggravatingly short answer... If you want something to stay in place for a while then move you need 3, not two key frames.

1 when you want it to start being in one place

2 another in the same place when it stops being in one place

3 another when you want it to be at that new place

In other words, objects are always moving between keyframes, so if you want one to appear stationary you have to give it two keyframes that are really in the same place.

• Hash Fellow

[Would you be able to explain that in greater detail. Say for example I wanted to make the rabbit step to the right, one foot at a time. Could you take me through it step by step please?

Ok, but you have to promise that next time someone asks this, you're going to do the explaining. ;)

[attachmentid=20563]

the project

[attachmentid=20565]

MakinBonesStayInPlace.mov

MakingBonesStayInPlace.zip

• 1 month later...

[Would you be able to explain that in greater detail. Say for example I wanted to make the rabbit step to the right, one foot at a time. Could you take me through it step by step please?

Ok, but you have to promise that next time someone asks this, you're going to do the explaining. ;)

[attachmentid=20563]

the project

[attachmentid=20565]

Any reason why i cant view the 1st movie? Quicktime cant play it an i have the newest version...

• Hash Fellow

Any reason why i cant view the 1st movie? Quicktime cant play it an i have the newest version...

Oops. That one is compressed with the 3rd party "Ensharpen" codec, which needs to be installed first.

Get it free at http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

Many of the Hash tut walkthroughs are also encoded with it so you will find it useful.

• 1 year later...

I had to restart the browser after installing the codec, but it worked for me.

The big thing to remember is that all movements and all non-movement (aka holds) have a start and an end. If you are simply posing your character in frames A, B, C, D, etc. and you don't key everything that you are animating with, then anything you created with a key in frames A and C (but not in B ) will move between frames A and C when you really wanted it to stay still between frame A and B and move between B and C.

In the example I mentioned, if you want to fix it, the steps are:

select the bone the the Project Workspace (PWS) in frame A

select the "translate" and "rotate" filters

select the "bone only filter"

choose Edit -> Copy

go to frame B

choose Edit -> Paste

Once you learn about that, you will often notice a small undesirable movement in your bone. The next thing you learn is about channels, and how you learn to adjust "zero slope" (or other appropriate interpolation methods). The easiest way to do that is to highlight your keyframe and hit the "0" (zero) key. You will want to learn more about that to know when you'd want to do that or another interpolation method.