sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My first face

Allrighty--here goes--

After doing tutorial after tutorial after tutorial, I decided that nothing original will ever get done unless I, well, start doing something original. So, based on many modeling tuts, I decided to try my hand at modeling a face.

The face itself was done "freehand"--without rotoscopes, just pushing the mesh as I went. It's basically a 3d version of one of my standard margin doodles. Probably nothing further will ever come of this face--I just thought the exaggerated features would give me a chance to play and learn as I went--hopefully preempting future mistakes.

The main thing I would like is criticisms/advice(/praise? hahaha) on spline layout. I'm not worried about the actual design of my guy, just the build, as I figure the same principles will be applicable to future, different-looking models. Have I made too liberal a use of five-point patches? Are there better/more efficient ways to handle the areas to the sides of the nostrils and between the inside corners of the eyes and bridge of the nose?

[attachmentid=18802]

Thanks--

Mark

[attachmentid=18803]

post-8763-1154025706_thumb.jpg

Playface.mdl.zip

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe something to think about if you plan on animating him. you might need one more vertical row of splines on each side of the lower jaw centerline. When you go to rig his face, you will want the mesh resolution. I don't know what his relaxed neutral look is, sometimes when you model with the character with his mouth wide open you have trouble animating it and hitting an oo and oh pose. It is an interesting looking character, perfect for a Halloween piece. Keep going, what will the head look like?

I think where you have the borw connected needs a little reworking. I would just connect them across from each other. I like what i can see of the spline layout otherwise. The face looks like it will be a little flat from the side.